964 or boxster 3.2 s

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 11:25 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,643 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo Jonny
"the only cars i would take over the box or cay are the GT3's, and only due to the motor and gearbox. "

is it really as simple as that for you ? Are you talking about track - use mainly ?

I enjoy driving a box but doubt if i could cherish one , and therefore didnt choose to own one over
a 964 targa when looking for an open top road car. (i dont need a special button - they are for women )
ah, easy to answer.
i would keep my RS over my cayman. it's not b/c RS is the better car. it's b/c the iconic shape and heritage. there are somethings the cay does better than my RS!!!

if you are into cycling.... eddy mercxk (sp) has less TdF title than lance armstrong. both are GREAT cyclist. but i love eddy more.

i have some old masi, de rossa, pinarello steel frames. if i am riding and racing, i usually ride my colnago C50 or Seven Ti frames. but i will never sell the old masi, de rossa and pina.... the C50 which is a much faster bike will be sold in a blink of an eye.

b/c i cherish the oldies b/c heritage, they dont build them like they used to. hand brazing, lugs details. just like 964. 996 do not have the "thunk" when you close the door.

look, i am not blind. i owned all these cars. which car has better craftsmanshp? i know. which car has heritage, i know... but that doesn't mean they are better cars. they are different and if you said you want a hand build car with history and character, i say take 993, 964 over and modern porsche today. hell even the CGT has no character compared to 964 or 993's.

but if you asked what car is nicer to commute in SF baybridge rush hour, i take boxster 996.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:29 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by DaveK
I'm curious about the answer to this too. I'd considering changing my daily car (not the 964!) - I think I've ruled out 996s and am wondering about a 996 turbo. However - a Cayman S is similar money to a 996 (at least the years I was considering) and I'm now wondering if I should add that to the list of possibles. Are they really that good?
996 and boxster have the same "lesser" engine and gearbox.
what will fail on 996 will fail on box as well.
so the only difference b/n them are:
style
which are the driving wheels.
different driving dynamics (this you have to try: for example, i enter a turn much faster in a cay but exit faster in 911 due to LSD and rear wt)

both cars are "modern" look
nothing classic about them
reliability is same (99 year cars MAY have block issues, but if it's got 60k+ miles on them and no issue so far, it's not going to have issues.)
Old 05-19-2009, 12:18 PM
BlueHeeler
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
b/c they are close minded.
i either have or have had
the only cars i would take over the box or cay are the GT3's, and only due to the motor and gearbox.

but i am not buying the cars. you are. they drive very differently. just go drive both and you will figure out what you like. if you can't, then buy both.
It is not a matter of close minded at all.

It is the difference between steak and ice cream. The both taste good, but serve different purposes. There is not a lot of overlap between the cars other than Porsche name IMHO.

Originally Posted by Boxsey911
I would air on the side of the boxster. Personally I believe you have to want a 964...not buy it just because it's affordable.
I agree. When you buy a 964 there is a lot to understand what you are getting. I would not recommend one to some of my friends, girlfriends, parents… but for the perfect person it is the perfect car. The Boxster seems to have a lot more broad range appeal.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:39 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

porscheholic
Ur turbo is a rare 3.6, not fair comparison ifbu know what I mean

But I know the feel u talking about. That's why we still have a 89 cab. And I really want a maritime blue RSA, but my friend isn't selling ugh.

When I said I take cay box over 911 I meant water cooled 911. I realized the confusion bc I listed air cooled cars in
The list.

And u r right gt3 is nervous on street. But u are not right about not able to throw
Gt3 around. U can drive it sideways like early 911's, but harder to control due to wt.

But I think we r talking mostly about limited edition models. For general models, I take cay over 996/997 non gt non tt cars. Bn cay and 964/993 I say drive it and take ur pick. I had both. And if my wife would shut up I would have RSAm, my 993c2s, box and gr3's

I think we would have a good conversation going if we meet up in
Person!

Let me know when u are a bit south on the coast.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:48 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by BlueHeeler
It is not a matter of close minded at all.

It is the difference between steak and ice cream. The both taste good, but serve different purposes. There is not a lot of overlap between the cars other than Porsche name IMHO.

Must b my poor English.
I have no prob when ppl say they are steak vs ice cream. They are ALL good. Usually u have ice cream after my steak. But if I want to save money I may skip the ice cream bc I will just get steak. I like steak more. Doesn't mean ice cream is inferior. Just different. And boxster cay is not a POOR man's Porsche. It may not be your Porsche.

There is actually quite a bit of engineering overlap bn
The two cars. But it takes too long to type on iphone
Old 05-19-2009, 01:03 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,079 Likes on 1,250 Posts

porscheholic
Ur turbo is a rare 3.6, not fair comparison ifbu know what I mean

But I know the feel u talking about. That's why we still have a 89 cab. And I really want a maritime blue RSA, but my friend isn't selling ugh.

When I said I take cay box over 911 I meant water cooled 911. I realized the confusion bc I listed air cooled cars in
The list.

And u r right gt3 is nervous on street. But u are not right about not able to throw
Gt3 around. U can drive it sideways like early 911's, but harder to control due to wt.

But I think we r talking mostly about limited edition models. For general models, I take cay over 996/997 non gt non tt cars. Bn cay and 964/993 I say drive it and take ur pick. I had both. And if my wife would shut up I would have RSAm, my 993c2s, box and gr3's

I think we would have a good conversation going if we meet up in
Person!

Let me know when u are a bit south on the coast.
Based on your response I have a funny feeling you mean me and not porscheholic. Same color.

Although I agree with you regarding the water cooled 911's (non GT's turbo) vs the boxster, cayman. As far as tossing a GT3 I didn't say it couldn't be done but not as easily and not without lots of experience. We see more GT3's with their back ends in the wall than any other model. So I would say if you can drive a GT3 and toss it around with the ease of a 964, you might even be able to find someone to pay you to do it.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:42 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by cobalt
Based on your response I have a funny feeling you mean me and not porscheholic. Same color.
ah, sorry, they really need a BIGGER screen on the iphone.. and the bumpy BART ride didn't help either.

Originally Posted by cobalt
As far as tossing a GT3 I didn't say it couldn't be done but not as easily and not without lots of experience. We see more GT3's with their back ends in the wall than any other model. So I would say if you can drive a GT3 and toss it around with the ease of a 964, you might even be able to find someone to pay you to do it.
indeed, lots of GT3's on track walls i frequent! as long as you remember the GT3 is much heavier than 964 RSA, you will have no problem tossing it around. if you can throw a 964 around, you can throw a GT3 around, no prob. just got to get used to the slightly higher speeds.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:53 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,079 Likes on 1,250 Posts

indeed, lots of GT3's on track walls i frequent! as long as you remember the GT3 is much heavier than 964 RSA, you will have no problem tossing it around. if you can throw a 964 around, you can throw a GT3 around, no prob. just got to get used to the slightly higher speeds.
I will keep that in mind. My wife wants to take full control of the 964 she says I abuse it too much and she loves the car on the track. Might need to get myself a second track car although they are too pricey right now to beat the crap out of. I would say it sounds like you are describing my turbo at speed but i know they are completely different animals.

BTW I am up north but get down to VIR when I get the chance.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:57 PM
biggles
Pro

If you forget the age disparity and possible technological enhancements, it becomes for me a matter of preferences, classic porsche versus modern porsche and for me it will always be classic porsche; previously owned a 944S and 951.

Good luck!

biggles
Old 05-19-2009, 04:50 PM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

One consideration that's been alluded too - but perhaps not outright mentioned in one of cache or image.

IF it matters to you - consider how people might react when you tell them about your new car. "I got a Boxster" will get lots of "what's that" or "isn't that a girls car" or "oh".

Try replying with "A 911" - and there's nothing more they will say 'cept' "Wow!".

Again - you might not care at all - but if you do...

RK
Old 05-19-2009, 05:15 PM
Gelignite
Instructor

The 964 will either become an obsession or you will hate it. Either way if you buy carefully you won't lose much if any money on the 964 if you want to sell it and then you will never be left wondering what might have been.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:53 PM
McJohn
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gelignite
The 964 will either become an obsession or you will hate it. Either way if you buy carefully you won't lose much if any money on the 964 if you want to sell it and then you will never be left wondering what might have been.
This is probably the best bit of advice yet on this whole thread.

I bought a 964 and ran it for a couple of years. I entirely understand why people get so attached to them as they are a very idiosyncratic car. I enjoyed mine, but I never really bonded with it the way I have with some other vehicles, (2 or 4 wheeled) so I sold it and moved on. I lost a little money on the whole trip, but nothing like I would on a new car, and I will be forever glad that I have a 964 as part of my motoring CV.

I moved on to the Cayman, and for whatever reason it just suits me and my driving style far better than the 964 ever did, and so I am happy with my choice.

As lots of folk have said, they are very different, and you won't know which you swim with best until you climb into the water.

JH
Old 05-19-2009, 07:11 PM
graham964
AutoX

Hi All

I have driven a 3.4 boxster after a 24hour loan from porsche a year ago and loved it but the price with options was £52k which is madness. I will be honest and confess to having always wanted a 911 and have homed in on the 964 as the best compromise between price/performance and some modern features (abs etc) but having had a very brief test drive of 911 C2 tip via virgin911 I came away slightly dissappointed. However this was only a very short trip and I couldn't drive it very hard which is not really a fair comparison when compared with the licence threatening outing in the boxster with no nervous salesman next to me!

I have only ever in my opinion owned one genuinely fast car which was a Honda S2000 which I liked but if I go the 911 route then the purchase won't be a convertible as I am not keen on the lines, but I would consider a targa as it retains the graceful lines of the coupe with the added benefit of a removable roof.

Anyway thanks for the feedaback. I guess I will seek another drive in a 964 and drive it a greater distance and preferably a manual.

If anybody has any observations on targas I would like to hear them

cheers

Graham
Old 05-20-2009, 02:50 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by graham964
Hi All

I have driven a 3.4 boxster after a 24hour loan from porsche a year ago and loved it but the price with options was £52k which is madness. I will be honest and confess to having always wanted a 911 and have homed in on the 964 as the best compromise between price/performance and some modern features (abs etc) but having had a very brief test drive of 911 C2 tip via virgin911 I came away slightly dissappointed. However this was only a very short trip and I couldn't drive it very hard which is not really a fair comparison when compared with the licence threatening outing in the boxster with no nervous salesman next to me!

I have only ever in my opinion owned one genuinely fast car which was a Honda S2000 which I liked but if I go the 911 route then the purchase won't be a convertible as I am not keen on the lines, but I would consider a targa as it retains the graceful lines of the coupe with the added benefit of a removable roof.

Anyway thanks for the feedaback. I guess I will seek another drive in a 964 and drive it a greater distance and preferably a manual.

If anybody has any observations on targas I would like to hear them

cheers

Graham
I can't comment much on targas - at least up to the 964 range I've never thought they did retain the coupe lines, and that would put me off. I'd have a 993 / 996 one though - but if you like the styling, then that's all that matters.

However - I have a question for you. 911Virgin let you have a testdrive? I remember they wouldn't allow me to testdrive my 964 when I bought it 7.5 years ago so I guess their policy has changed.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:07 AM
BlueHeeler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by McJohn
This is probably the best bit of advice yet on this whole thread.

I bought a 964 and ran it for a couple of years. I entirely understand why people get so attached to them as they are a very idiosyncratic car. I enjoyed mine, but I never really bonded with it the way I have with some other vehicles, (2 or 4 wheeled) so I sold it and moved on. I lost a little money on the whole trip, but nothing like I would on a new car, and I will be forever glad that I have a 964 as part of my motoring CV.

I moved on to the Cayman, and for whatever reason it just suits me and my driving style far better than the 964 ever did, and so I am happy with my choice.

As lots of folk have said, they are very different, and you won't know which you swim with best until you climb into the water.

JH
Great post. That reminds me maybe the 964 is more marmite than ice cream. Either it ticks boxes or not.

Quick Reply: 964 or boxster 3.2 s