Race Car

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Maxspeed Motorsport primary bypass

Just ordered it!
Old 05-17-2009, 03:21 PM
Duck
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I am pretty sure mine came from maxspeed. I have bben very happy with part.
Old 05-17-2009, 05:44 PM
HardTarget
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm...mine should be getting in Monday and will install either that night or Tuesday...I'll pass along how good the fit is. Shouldn't be much an issue if the length and angles at the ends are correct. Not much else that could get screwed up on it
Old 05-19-2009, 08:21 PM
HardTarget
Intermediate

Thoughts...

Came in today and installed it. Have yet to take a drive though (I will shortly )
Welds look just fine.
Polish is nice...no tool markings.
Weight with the little bit of hardware ~7-8lbs

Couple of issues:
The exhaust tip is nowslightly off center, but I didn't check before pulling the OE Primary to see how centered the tip was. Given the CAT is fixed/stationary...little to no wiggle room to adjust that way (new Primary delete moving side to side...not possible). I may fiddle with the tip connection at the Secondary muffler to see if I can get a little play to shift it over. Only a matter of 1/4" at most...but I'm a stickler on stuff like that.
The passenger side mount on the new Primary pipe doesn't line up with the OE slot very well. There is a lip that rests on the OE bracket just fine, but the hole mount is off by ~ 1/2". Annoying, but functionally it works just fine. Again, no way to adjust side to side given the CAT's position.

But for under $200 inc shipping and a pretty easy DIY installation (only slightly complicated part is bending the mount straps. Patience and a good eye is all you need as they can be bent by hand.)... Can't wait to hear it! Off I go...
Old 05-19-2009, 09:23 PM
Dwane
Race Car

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by HardTarget
Thoughts...

Came in today and installed it. Have yet to take a drive though (I will shortly )
Welds look just fine.
Polish is nice...no tool markings.
Weight with the little bit of hardware ~7-8lbs

Couple of issues:
The exhaust tip is nowslightly off center, but I didn't check before pulling the OE Primary to see how centered the tip was. Given the CAT is fixed/stationary...little to no wiggle room to adjust that way (new Primary delete moving side to side...not possible). I may fiddle with the tip connection at the Secondary muffler to see if I can get a little play to shift it over. Only a matter of 1/4" at most...but I'm a stickler on stuff like that.
The passenger side mount on the new Primary pipe doesn't line up with the OE slot very well. There is a lip that rests on the OE bracket just fine, but the hole mount is off by ~ 1/2". Annoying, but functionally it works just fine. Again, no way to adjust side to side given the CAT's position.

But for under $200 inc shipping and a pretty easy DIY installation (only slightly complicated part is bending the mount straps. Patience and a good eye is all you need as they can be bent by hand.)... Can't wait to hear it! Off I go...
Try hooking everything up, play around with the system and then tighten the whole thing up.
That's what I had to do with my Dansk secondary bypass and GHL cat bypass!
later
Dwane
Old 05-19-2009, 10:21 PM
HardTarget
Intermediate

Well...after the drive, the tip centered itself! As for the mounts on the new Primary pipe...the passenger side was welded in a little bit too much. Not a big deal as it still attached fine with the strap.

Being used to a vehicle with only a glasspack muffler(Go TDI!)...the C2 is still 'quiet', but definitely has a more refined note to it when given some pedal. Notice no real difference at idle or casual driving. Open it up and well...this has been described many times before I notice no loss of TQ at low-mid. It feels stronger on a hard pull through the RPM range, but I wasn't expecting a night and day difference. Weight savings, tone, and a little added hop in the step is just fine by me.

Cheers.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:54 AM
mojo747
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Let's here some audio. After listening to my car at the track, I'm convinced it is too quiet. I want something a little more aggressive but not obnoxious. I can handle $200 too.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:32 PM
HardTarget
Intermediate

It was $191 and some change inc shipping. I think that is very reasonable. Go to the Fabspeed website to hear some clips. Granted, I don't think that have a standalone clip of only their 'primary' bypass pipe...

When you get in on the throttle, then you'll hear it, and the tone is more rich/fuller/reasonably more aggressive. I am used to a car that is LOUD...lots of low frequency rumble... So to some, the primary bypass I'm sure sounds grand. The CAT does much to soften the rumble(experiencing other cars without them...), so bypassing that would certainly free up some DBs if that's what you're looking for...

Quick Reply: Maxspeed Motorsport primary bypass