Sponsored by:

Oil Leak at Thermostat

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 12:05 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts
Default Oil Leak at Thermostat

Finally finished up my car and took it out on a test drive last night to warm it up and check for oil leaks. Over the winter I replaced the oil lines between the thermostat and everything else. During the course of the work I removed the thermostat from the hard lines leading to the cooler to replace the o-ring inside.
I have a leak at the inside hard line and thermostat flair joint. It doesn't look to be coming from the union but from the flair joint. I modified an old ride height wrench to turn the not a few degrees but the nut is as tight as it can go.
Anyone else had this issue? How did you resolve it? I couldn't find any similar issues by searching.
Thanks in advance.
Old 04-25-2009, 08:28 PM
jim_l
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had a similar problem with one of the thermostat flair fittings, i just loosened the joint enough to let it find a new seat and snugged it up. no more dripping.
Old 04-25-2009, 08:56 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Jim, thanks for the reply.
I tried that this morning but no joy.
When I broke the nut loose this afternoon it required considerable force. That kind of torque is not typical of a flair seated. This leads me to believe that the nut is too deep and has bottomed out on the union threads before the flair could seat (the nuts are new Elephant Racing replacement nuts and are 1/2 mil deeper than the factory nuts).
I filed 1.5 mil off of each nut. I'll see if that takes care of it tomorrow.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:46 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

The O.E. nut is 17 mm high. The Elephant-supplied nut (manufactured by O.E. supplier Cohline) is 17.8 mm high.
I filed mine down to 16 mm and torqued them up this morning. The breakaway torque on the inside line felt normal.
Hopefully after a test drive this afternoon I'll be ready to declare victory and pull out
Old 04-26-2009, 06:20 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Success
Old 04-26-2009, 08:18 PM
jim_l
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad you resolved it, oil spots are so depressing. so when you replaced the oil lines you used Elephant lines and attaching to the thermostat required you to rework the nuts. if thats the case you should let them know. Great looking car
Old 04-26-2009, 09:42 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jim_l
Glad you resolved it, oil spots are so depressing. so when you replaced the oil lines you used Elephant lines and attaching to the thermostat required you to rework the nuts. if thats the case you should let them know. Great looking car
I used the nuts that Elephant sells when the O.E. nuts have to be cut off.
http://www.elephantracing.com/oilhan...911tubenut.htm

Quick Reply: Oil Leak at Thermostat