Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bleeding diff locks on an '89 C4

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 11:46 PM
rotorheadcase
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I think bleeding the brakes is generally considered removing any air trapped in the system whilst replacing all the fluid is considered flushing the brakes.

The diff-lock **** is indeed the right hand one ahead of the shift lever. This is nothing to do with bleeding or flushing the brakes. It is solely for the PDAS system and the method is as described above. People usually do the PDAS at the same time hence they are often referred to in the same context.

Neil
Old 04-29-2009, 03:56 AM
Computamedic
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bates
Could someone simplify this for me... I think I know what it means to bleed brakes - all fluid, no air bubbles.

Are we talking about cycling the diff-lock **** ahead of the stick-shift counsel? Or, what I just said, but with fresh fluid?
It's exactly the same issue. Any hydraulic system has the potential of getting air in ths system. Since air is compressible - and hydraulic fluid isn't - the air introduces some inefficiency into the system and needs to be removed. The diff locks are a little more complex than the brakes since they need to be cycled to get the fluid to flow - hence the need for a Bosch tester which has a specific software routine to do it. As has been stated above, it CAN be done by cycling the switch on the console but it's a much more labourious job.

Regards

Dave
Old 09-01-2014, 04:13 AM
alsaab
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

having recently bought a 964 Targa C4 as a companion to my 993 Turbo, I tried to bleed the lock cylinders last night. Owning a PST2 (the original one) since a couple of years, I thought this would be a piece of cake. Well, I ran into exactly the same problem : car is a MY 1990 and PST2 will show the option bleeding cylinders but not allow me to go further, no matter what I try. Of course I had to call my wife and bleed manually with the swith on/off method.
Has there ever been an explanation to that problem ??

Thanks

Alain

Quick Reply: Bleeding diff locks on an '89 C4