Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition switch problems 90 C2

Old 04-13-2009, 04:08 PM
Surfer2001
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ignition switch problems 90 C2

Both my keys have problem, the switch won’t turn. I have to jimmy the key vigorously and pull the key in & out to get the switch to turn. Anybody has this issue? How did you repair it, I certainly don’t want to visit a dealer. I’m thinking this is going to be costly.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:21 PM
Colin 90 C2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Try moving the steering wheel from left to right. Sometimes the wheel locks and makes the ignition switch lock.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:34 PM
stevepaa
Rennlist Member

also sounds like the keys are going bad

new ignition lock is $62 MSRP new key MSRP $80
Old 04-13-2009, 11:31 PM
zaliah
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem with a new key I had cut. I took the key to the dealer and the guy there was able to recut it to work. If it is an old key, it is probably worn out.
Old 04-14-2009, 05:00 AM
TEN DOLLAR
Advanced

I had the very same problem. When I bought my C4, it only came with one key! I wasn't sure if the key was worn or the ignition barrel. I ordered a new key from Porsche. I rang them up, gave them the car's serial numbers and 2 days later a new key arrived. Problem solved.

Last edited by TEN DOLLAR; 12-12-2009 at 04:36 PM.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:55 PM
Mark J
Trial Rennlist

i got told recently that it was a costly repair to get the ignition barrel replaced. Is that not quite the case?
They were talking in the several hundred quid bracket at my last service at independants.
I can tell the barrel is quite worn and prob worth a swap out at some point but both my keys work okay in it. I was more worried about snapping one off in the barrel.
Old 04-14-2009, 04:31 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere

Originally Posted by Mark J
i got told recently that it was a costly repair to get the ignition barrel replaced. Is that not quite the case?
They were talking in the several hundred quid bracket at my last service at independants.
I can tell the barrel is quite worn and prob worth a swap out at some point but both my keys work okay in it. I was more worried about snapping one off in the barrel.
I had mine done about a year ago, when I was having problems with the contacts being worn out (you had to wiggle the key a little in the "On" position to make everything work electrically). It's been a year, but as I recall the rotary switch was about $65 from Sunset,and then my indy shop got about $550 in stall it. It's a nasty job, the lower dash has to come off and the wheel and and column covers come off. The he had to drill out a couple shear bolts while lying on his back. It took several hours of R&R.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ignition switch problems 90 C2