Sponsored by:

Slowing rust issues?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 01:34 PM
madmoog
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slowing rust issues?

I've got rust bubbles starting to appear in the usual places, top of wingsat the joint and bottom of screen

In the long run, I know that it will be screen out and wings off to solve the problem, but that is unfortunatly not on the agenda ($ or £ - delete as appropriate).

Anyway, it struck me the other day (after skewering my finger with the hypodermic needle for my diabetic cat) that these needles are very fine and could be used to inject oil........... this went on to warming the affected rust area to drive out moisture and then injecting oil, grease, waxoil or similar for temporary spreading of the rust and protection of the metal etc.

Anyone tried anything similar and have any (useful) thoughts.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:43 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Anyone who owned early 911s knows the heartbreak of rust blisters. I had good success using a sharpened screw driver to scrape the rust down to bare metal. Usually there is a perforation, and the rust is coming from the opposite side. If you hit solid metal below the rust, any good spot-prep and spot paint system will hold the rust until the major respray. If the rust is coming from the back, it helps if you can get to it.

Avoid the latex-based quick fixes. They are incredible at first, but at the end of the day do not slow rust. The reason is chemistry and difficult to explain in short space. Naval Jelly gets the chemistry passive, and will give a good primer and top cost a chance to last. I had good success with Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer and their topcoat system. Remember, it is a system, and unless you have a vast R&R operation, you are better off following the direction of those that do. Translation: buy from reputable suppliers, and follow the directions printed on the can.

Quick Reply: Slowing rust issues?