Sponsored by:

What Engine For the America GS?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 01:20 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,090 Likes on 1,255 Posts

Originally Posted by demonfish
or looking at it another way, keep it stock spec, ie 3.6 etc but see just how good you can get it...

or...

959 engine
IIRC it is a 3.8 l from the factory
Old 04-17-2009, 05:26 PM
demonfish
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah ok, but you get the idea....
Old 04-17-2009, 06:24 PM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

Given the move to smaller displacement turbo engines in multiple racing series, from a business relevancy point of view I would go this direction. The factories are also gearing up in this direction ( BMW M, Audi Quattro GmbH, FIA, etc)

A small displacement twin Turbo of about 3 Liters with a high redline (9500 rpm or higher) would be techically interesting and relevent to current and furture series.

Also a switch to a Double Clutch Gear box would be interesting as well over the tiptronic while offering the same automatic advantages of the current setup.

Additionally the integreation of a traction control system would be viable.

This could still be used on the street with some form of variable boost regulation (coupled with various tranny programs as well)

Emotionally i prefer the 4L NA engine but this is a showcase platform.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:05 PM
tony.t
Intermediate

My C2 is somewhere north of 350hp and somewhere south of 1200kg and it's real world performance is enough for me; on a developement budget that in all probability is less than that for the GS suspension. 1200hp from a turbo 964 has been done as has over 400hp from a NA 964 unit.

My view is that Robert shouldn't be looking at headline power/torque numbers. His GS weighs 1000 KGs so a modest output engine is going to give high power/weight. A 400+ hp engine will put the GS in 997GT2 territory and above.

I would be more impressed with an engine of 400hp that was lighter than the stock unit, with longer service intervals, a real world 30mpg and a broader spread of usable power, that was emmisions compliant in all territories.

Porsche "improved" on the 964 engine in the 993 by seemingly picking an arbitary power output with an equivical result. If Mr Lintons talent was used to build an engine/car combination that was of epic performance in real world driving rather than simply matching "tuner" numbers, then I'd be impressed.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:43 PM
GT2Driver
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default What Engine For the America GS?

Hi Bob,

with your incredible car I would go for some extra ordinary solution. Why not keep the 4.0 liter engine and install a supercharger for the low end in combination with a turbocharger for the mid- to high end.
The supercharger has to be controlled and disconnected in a smooth way to keep the torque curve on a straight line and at the same time let the turbo deliver the high-end horsepower that we all long for. All this with a nice pair of Secan intercoolers to keep the engine on a healthy thermal level.

Rgds Lars
Old 04-18-2009, 01:32 AM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Cupcar#12

Emotionally i prefer the 4L NA engine but this is a showcase platform.
Precisely.

Kevin
Old 04-18-2009, 08:35 AM
demonfish
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GT2Driver
Hi Bob,

with your incredible car I would go for some extra ordinary solution. Why not keep the 4.0 liter engine and install a supercharger for the low end in combination with a turbocharger for the mid- to high end.

Rgds Lars
I already said that

I think its a good idea

Quick Reply: What Engine For the America GS?