Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone used or have Fabspeed's air box & heat bypass tube?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009 | 03:09 AM
jsham
Instructor

Default Has anyone used or have Fabspeed's air box & heat bypass tube?

I'm thinking about adding an air box & maybe the carbon heat bypass tube, I wanted to know if anyone has any advice on Fabspeeds Air Box or others and what are the real world gains or is it mostly just sound?
On the heat bypass tube, does the heat slightly work over time or works well enough that you never have to go back to the old set up. I live in Utah and it doesn't get super cold here, but cold enough that you want heat and what about defrost when it's raining or snowing?
I have a full GHL system on my car and I do have a little droning and was wondering will the air box ad to it?
Speaking of the droning, is there a fix that can be done to my system (not just replacing it) to fix it, like wrap the headers or??? I love the way my system works, performs & sounds incredible (I can't get out of my car anywhere with someone saying something or giving me the thumbs up) but I would love to fix that drone.
When I contacted GHL right when the system was added I was told that because I have a Andial 3.8 built engine, thats why it drones a little, well....
Any feed back is grateful.
Old 04-07-2009 | 05:55 AM
haygeebaby
Burning Brakes

I have a 993 - and purchased a BMC airfilter, Carbon fibre heat bypass pipe, and cat bypass pipes from Fabspeed a few months back. Joe from Fabspeed is a nice guy but it took ages to get my order sent to me in Australia. They must have mixed up the order and I had to email them to ask where the stuff was - after waiting more than 2 weeks. The stuff got here in the end - almost 4 weeks after I placed the order. Ordered some stuff from Pelican at the same time and that got here in a week.

Anyway, I have not fitted the heater bypass pipe yet, becuase the attachement on the fan shroud needs to be changed to the 964 one. I wish Fabspeed would have told me before hand. I'll get the right part later on - but the workmanship on the pipe is pretty good. Since you have a 964 it should fit without problem.

The BMC air filter I got also does not fit. I have not installed it yet - and need to cut it so it fits correctly. Wish Fabspeed had also told me this.

Cat bypass pipes on the other hand where perfect - they fit perfectly - and the build is great.

I drilled holes in my air box and this resulted in some more sound. I don't think you'll get any performance. I will cut the air box lid so it looks like the RS version later on and also get the BMC to fit. Can you do this on the 964 airbox as well ? I'd recommended doing this mod - the added sound is pretty pleasing - but I did not notice the sound at first. It wasn't till after I started my weight reduction project and had removed some sound deadening from the rear did I start hearing the air being sucked into the airbox via the newly drilled holes. Its a pretty nice sound.

Now with the cat bypass installed I can't hear it at all - just a lovely new exhaust note.

Good luck with Fabspeed
Old 04-07-2009 | 05:59 AM
haygeebaby
Burning Brakes

Oh - forgot to mention that with the heater bypass pipe - you will have to stuff around with the electronics as well. I wish Fabspeed had this in the instructions and had also told me as well. There is a good thread on this mod in the 964 forum and it explains why it is required as well.

Cheers ...

Quick Reply: Has anyone used or have Fabspeed's air box & heat bypass tube?