Sponsored by:

Battery drain - immobiliser?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 04:09 PM
rebp911
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery drain - immobiliser?

I’ve been trying to find the source of a battery drain in my 1992 C4. My new Bosch Silver battery would run down after a weeks non-use. I’ve fitted a battery brain to preserve enough to start the engine, while I try to find out what the problem is.

It’s not the CCU fan as I suspected - that turns off properly after about 15 minutes. I found a small drain of about 50Ma on fuse 12 (diagnostic), but wasn’t convinced it was this. So I got in a mobile auto electrician who detected that an un-numbered fuse was generating a drain of about 100Ma.

This fuse is not numbered, so we thought it must be an after-market fitment. The culprit is a 3 amp fuse, which sits next to a 25 amp one in one of the blank cut-outs in the fuse box.

I then tried to trace these wires (4 in total) from the fuse box. I got as far as a point under the dash, when it disappeared into the main loom. So it would not seem to be an after-market fitment. Why would this go back to an un-numbered fuse/

Here are some pics of the wiring from the fuse box.

Could it be the immobiliser? Any other ideas?
Attached Images   
Old 03-21-2009, 04:41 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine was the boot light. Unbeknown to me, it was apparently unplugged when I got the car. I never noticed or really cared about not having it. My shop plugged it back in when they were going over the car. All of a sudden, I have this annoying battery drain. I unplugged that connection, all good again. I suppose it's either out of a adjustment, or a short or a bad switch. Have never fixed it, don't need it.
Old 03-22-2009, 12:44 PM
rebp911
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery drain

Barry - I wish it were so simple! Looked at all the hood/engine cover switches, and they're all fine - light goes out when closed.
I think it might be the central locking (PA2000 Hamilton and Palmer). I left it unlocked last night (in a locked garage, immobiliser automatically comes on after 30 seconds) and it was fine this morning. Locked it again tonight - will see what happens.

Quick Reply: Battery drain - immobiliser?