Sponsored by:

Friday folley

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 01:32 PM
DWS964
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVISRILEY
Seeing as I have the motor scattered across my garage, my plan is to clean, clean, clean. Hopefully some parts are going to get here today. Hope to get all the cleaning done this weekend, get the valves adjusted, and get it ready to go back in next week. But as they say, the best laid plans....
Dave, I have a parts car sitting in the barn....

I am bottling wine this weekend and prep'ing for business travel and later some hiking in Utah. Playing with the grandson on Sunday. I should get my USB to Serial adapter, so I can try the scantool again.
Having Pizza & Movie night tonight with the Porsche neighbors - we're watching "Le Mans" My wife thought she had ordered a sensitive girly movie. I told her this is a love story.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:37 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

(pizza sounds good... think I'll have a pizza.)

wash car. paint disk hats? yard work. meet the GF's sister.

pizza. a beer.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:39 PM
911URGE
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by crg53
This weekend I will do an oil/filter change (Brad Penn 20w 50), clean the wheels inside out, put them back on and drop the car back on the ground, it has been sitting on jack stands for about a month. I have a new steering wheel coming maybe today, if so that is going in as well.
Are you switching to Brad Penn 20/50 from another oil? If so, I would like to hear your thoughts on engine temp and warm idle pressure with BP vs what you were using. Im seeing a slight increase in engine temp and a slight decrease in warm idle pressure (was 2 bar, now 1.5 bar) using BP 20/50. Runs normal 4-5 bar pressure while driving.

After 2 weekends of fighting with oil line replacements at the thermostat to oil tank and thermostat to oil filter console my car is leak free. I need to clean the wheel well and go for a drive.

Next up - I need to sort my P/S leak. I have small amounts of P/S fluid collecting on the right side engine tin that drips onto the heat exchanger so I hope its just a hose or two and not more.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:28 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

911urge. This is my second oil change with Brad Penn, I can not speak for the oil temp. but warm idle pressure went up slightly, from 2 to 2 1/4 with my first oil change to B.P.. the previous oil was ELF 5w40. During normal driving the pressure is always just touching the 5 line.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:31 PM
sundog
Race Director

Received 197 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by ilko
I hope you have more than a weekend planned for all that
Well, I've had more time a week ago, but you know how things go.

I'll get the majority done this weekend, and then finish it over the next few days.

Bloody knuckles weekend for sure!
Old 03-20-2009, 03:58 PM
swmic

Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

I'll be putting the car up on jacks this weekend getting ready for a valve adjustment, oil change, new front tires, and fix some leaks.
Old 03-20-2009, 04:24 PM
demonfish
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well since the car is back, its time for some track prep in time for April 3rd Track Day...

I am still waiting on brake pads, so i'll do the pad swap next week and stick the track wheels on.

This weekend i am going to fit the track camera, carry on with some interior trim, fit a new breather pipe, new contact pad for the horn, breather cover gasket, oil pressure seal etc...

I need to order some oil too.
Old 03-20-2009, 04:30 PM
jim_l
Instructor

completed resealing the valve covers and timing chain cover, seems most of my oil leak was due to the oil feed pipe to the cam. but its done, clear and on the road
Old 03-20-2009, 04:52 PM
swmic

Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

jim_l, what was involved in fixing the leak on the cam supply line? I think that's one of my leaks.
Old 03-20-2009, 05:37 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm going to have my first play with adjusting the new KW suspension. It's currently set pretty firm for the track so it will be interesting to see the difference when I soften it up for normal road use.

Hopefully I won't mess it up and have to take it back to the shop!
Old 03-20-2009, 05:47 PM
jim_l
Instructor

Originally Posted by swmic
jim_l, what was involved in fixing the leak on the cam supply line? I think that's one of my leaks.
Mine was leaking on the drivers side, remove cat, heat shield and tin. you will see the pipe in the plastic housing its under the distributor. just remove the two 10mm nuts pull it straight up. there two o rings on the pipe in one flat washer. i had all the parts as part of the valve cover gasket kit from pelican. took me about 2 hrs and fixed my leak.. you might be able to do it from the top side i didn't try as i thought it was a valve cover leak. it drips right through that o-ring type seal the lower spark plug cables feed through the tin.
Old 03-20-2009, 05:54 PM
Bluey964
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well today H&R Green springs got fitted over my Bilsteins replacing the original springs. Would love to take the credit but Warmfuzzies (Kevin) did most of the work in the true spirit of Rennlist helping out those who aren't (yet!) quite as advanced at spannering!

Tomorrow the job is to replace the rest of the rubber brake lines - gone one fitted today, fir the 21mm rear anti-roll bar with new drop links, and fit new drop links and bushes on the front anti-roll bar. Then bleed the brakes with ATE Blue. Was mulling over removing and painting the calipers red as the original black looks rather second hand and lacquer is flaking off, but will leave that so I can just get the car back on the road. New alignment will be booked for next week so here is to driving Bluey again!
Old 03-20-2009, 07:00 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Gonna work with Dan Johnson tomorrow mainly on his car. I ordered parts too late to do mine, but soon I need to do the entire ignition chain from the distributor out. Rotors, caps, wires, plugs. Maybe a valve adjustment soon too. (need to check the distributor belt tomorrow for sure though)

Also I hope to get some video of my VAS-911 screwdriver at work for the site: http://www.tomnjudy.com/porsche

I am going to make Dan J the official hand-model.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:39 PM
Crystal Cranks
Racer

Painting the Hall In the House ,
Watching Ireland beating Wales in the rugby to win the grand slam
Finding somewhere to fit my Garmin SatNav in my 964.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:01 AM
DWS964
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

Just finished watching "Le Mans" with the neighbors for our weekly Pizza/Wine/Movie night. The women got up and left - good riddance, they kept talking through the movie, wondering why there was no dialogue.... Fantastic movie, the first time I have seen it since becoming a Porsche owner. So very cool, and so cool to see all of the 911's. Tomorrow - we're changing the mufflers on Pete's 996.

Quick Reply: Friday folley