Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whoops! Tried to jump start with cables on wrong way around!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 02:42 PM
rbatt
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Whoops! Tried to jump start with cables on wrong way around!

A friend of mine has a 1990 964 C2 tip.

He recently needed to jump start his car. Unfortunately he connected the jump leads the wrong way round https://rennlist.com/forums/graemlins/banghead.gif

Now the sppedo and the odometer have stopped working and the spoiler will not raise, although the car seems to run perfectly.

Has he blown a fuse (or a relay) or has he done something more serious?
Old 03-16-2009, 04:45 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

I don't know if the 964 instruments and controls are reverse-polarity protected. For sure he risked damaging the battery and the wiring harness. Did the donar car sustain any damage?

A 964 has a lot of electrics and electronics, and I would want to verify everything was working correctly. The best and quickest check is to get a Hammer and read the diagnostic codes, sensor values, and operate the actuators (you can exercise the resonance flap, servos, and injectors). How is the climate control working?

The spoiler is triggered by the speed signal, so fixing the speedo should also fix the spoiler. Do the manual spoiler controls work? For sure, look at the fuse chart on the inside cover of the fuse panel. Locate the instrument panel fuse. If that is blown, that is an easy fix. I would still want to check the rest of the electrical system.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:51 PM
carmelo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure it would make a difference or not, but how long did he leave it connected incorrectly. Happened to me once for about 2 minutes before I realized it. It blew the traction control fuse and the radio fuse. Got lucky I guess.

Carmelo
Old 03-16-2009, 05:38 PM
Porsche917K
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

I did this once myself. I got lucky that I only burned up one wire, but yours sounds much worse.

If memory serves, when you reverse the terminals the first thing to short will be the ground cable to the alternator and the shorts will spread depending on how long you left the key on with the cables reversed. If you feel confident checking everything out yourself, pull the alternator and start checking the harnesses from there.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:31 PM
Slantnose!
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I saw this happen before...
Same stuff went out & needed a diode (big silver #928 615 124 01 plug-in) replaced.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:17 PM
DLCrow
Instructor

Originally Posted by rbatt
A friend of mine has a 1990 964 C2 tip.

He recently needed to jump start his car. Unfortunately he connected the jump leads the wrong way round https://rennlist.com/forums/graemlins/banghead.gif

Now the sppedo and the odometer have stopped working and the spoiler will not raise, although the car seems to run perfectly.

Has he blown a fuse (or a relay) or has he done something more serious?
Confession is good for the soul! I did the same thing on my 964 (was trying to encourage a neighborhood kid!!!). In addition to the speedo/odo/spoiler, i get dash lights on the ABS and air bag! Runs fine - battery drains over 5-days inactivity, but charges fine when driving. Fuses look fine. In to see the guy with the "Hammer" in about a week!
Attached Images  
Old 03-17-2009, 12:05 AM
PorscheZen
Rennlist Member

Why is this reverse polarity jumping so easy to do?

Quick Reply: Whoops! Tried to jump start with cables on wrong way around!