Query...

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 07:58 PM
demonfish
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Query...

You all know that i had an issue with my steering arms, here is a reminder:

note - arm is 90 degrees out, very worn...

since i have had the car back, it feels very "live".... i can feel it moving a lot more, feel it skipping around a bit more. Now part of me thinks this is because generally i run 32psi in the tyres, now they are at 36...

however - follow me on this...

it feels like i can feel the car rollin on the back tyres, like on a bend, with a bump, its feels like the cars back end is doing like a circular motion - the geo specs aren't wildly different though, tiny tiny amounts... do you think the front arms being 90 degrees out would offer enough resistance to the body roll that now they are correct its made a difference?

if so - i am guessing uprated anti roll bars will dial this back in?

i can post geo figures if it helps... i'll try dropping the pressure too, see if that makes a difference, havent been able to recently, what with having no rear brakes and all.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:28 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine used to feel like that, especially under braking, unless I kept a differential between the front and rear tyre pressures.

Then again, worn dampers produced a similar sort of feeling.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:43 AM
Strega(UK)
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have experienced this with new tyres before, it took a bit of time for them to calm down.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:42 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I am experiencing this now as well... after complete new suspension and alignment...tires are fairly new as well. I was going to take it back to the dealer to have them check the alignment again.

Is that weird feeling that the back end of the car is going to step out... not easy to describe.

It was not like that at all with the worn out setup...
Old 03-06-2009, 08:23 AM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Well, I took the car out last night (has been sitting in the garage this last few months)... it is not the back that feels uneasy... it is actually the front.

When taking a turn is like the car wants to turn more, and quickly. Can't be ride height as it is the same as before the suspension install.

Heading out to the dealer to have them check specs in front.
Old 03-06-2009, 03:23 PM
demonfish
Burning Brakes

be interesting to see what you come up with - i think it could be partially down to the wevo mounts to.

its almost like the tyres feel greasy?
Old 03-06-2009, 03:32 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Unhappy

Originally Posted by demonfish
be interesting to see what you come up with - i think it could be partially down to the wevo mounts to.

its almost like the tyres feel greasy?
It will have to wait until next week, I have been in work related calls all day... I will take some time next week to go and check.
Old 03-07-2009, 05:51 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Matt, having seen yesterday that you've got different tyres on the front and rear axles, I wouldn't be surprised if that's got something to do with what your feeling. Might be worth trying your wheels with Toyos first.
Old 03-07-2009, 07:04 AM
demonfish
Burning Brakes

steve - i only put those on on thursday evening... my test drives were on the R888's which is what they were geo'd on and what i took them home on....

but

maybe its too cold for the toyos to be grippy...

and on other wheels maybe the front of mine has so much grip the back is really showing up the cheap rubber?

like i said - i'll wait for donington to pass verdict..
Old 03-07-2009, 07:11 AM
tony.t
Intermediate

Originally Posted by boxsey911
Matt, having seen yesterday that you've got different tyres on the front and rear axles, I wouldn't be surprised if that's got something to do with what your feeling. Might be worth trying your wheels with Toyos first.
+1

different tyres front to rear are a bib no no.

IMO and experience if you want to set a car up
1) new tyres of a suitable type for your application. Same make model age tyre on each corner
2) Basic geo at "standard" settings so all the wheels are pointing in the correct direction

Then go fault finding.

Different types of tyre on each axel can make a perfectly well set up car behave in an abnormal manner.
Old 03-07-2009, 09:19 AM
demonfish
Burning Brakes

tony, let me point a few things out first...

1. its a track /fast road car.
2. all suspension is new.
3. it was geo'd and test driven on R888's all round.

i dont mind different tyres on the road wheels as i dont push it when its in stealth mode, like it is in winter (all black, g pipe, soft billys) plus i dont really want to practice drifting on expensive contis

my query was to whether the difference i have felt in handling is related to the steering arms being previously misaligned.

boxseys comment about the differing tyres was when he saw my car yesterday, which is the first time its been out on those wheels post geo.

its either the test drive when on R888's was to cold, the steering arms made a massive anti roll bar, or the fact my dampers are now right down so the car rolls more and doesnt make use of the geo i'm running.
Old 03-07-2009, 09:45 AM
tony.t
Intermediate

Demonfish,

seems we both posted at the same time

I see your comments relate to the handling on 888s all round which I wasn't aware of on posting above and obviously can be discounted as a cause of your problems.

I'll comment on what I know;

I've had a couple of sets of 888s on my C2 and they do feel greasy when new. They get better once they've been heat cycled. 888s do seem very sensitive to pressure, TBH I'm not getting another set if I can help it as I find them too unstable in that respect. 888s performance drops dramaticaly when cold to the extent they're worse than normal road tyres for grip it's really noticable on cold mornings driving to a trackday.

You say you've new suspension all round. Have you changed all the rubber bushes?

I don't know what effect the steering arms would have and I don't really understand what you mean by your dampers beeing "right down"
Old 03-07-2009, 12:37 PM
demonfish
Burning Brakes

the suspension was new 4km's ago, the only thing that has changed are steering arms. all was rebushed when the suspension was fitted...

geo figures are all the same, ride height is lower.
Old 03-07-2009, 01:35 PM
tony.t
Intermediate

Originally Posted by demonfish
the suspension was new 4km's ago, the only thing that has changed are steering arms. all was rebushed when the suspension was fitted...

geo figures are all the same, ride height is lower.
from the above ( I assume pss10s) and the only thing to have changed is the steering arms then it may well be the incorrectly posistioned steering arms were locking up the front suspension.

Lower ride height = lower centre of gravity = less roll, I would have thought.

re 888 tyre pressures on the advice of Simply Tyres I've been running 34F/36R, previously 30F/32R and handling wise I don't feel any real difference ( they just take longer to overheat) ; it's only if they're much above 40 that I notice a significant tip toe feeling.

I don't know the spring rates for pss10s but pss9s are soft at the front compared with the rear and I can well imagine a big front ARB being needed to compensate.
Old 03-07-2009, 02:11 PM
demonfish
Burning Brakes

i generally run 32s all round on track...

there is no doubt the steering arms were offering roll resistance, so yes now that is gone, maybe i do now need some ARB's - great more expense!

I have Donington booked for 3rd April, so i turn the PSS10s back up to 9 front and 7 rear, run at 32s and see how it feels - just hope its dry so i can get a good comparison.

Quick Reply: Query...