N-Rated tyres yes or no

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 12:09 PM
dutchcrunch
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default tires

well mabe one more thing,

i went to a porsche dealer and they will NOT install a non N rated tire. if you live in europe, like Germany, i am pretty sure TUV will be looking at your tires, so you might want to check to see whats allowable.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:23 PM
breale01
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The way I read the table, the MPS2s are superior in dry and wet to the Pirelli (+++ vs ++). I'm looking at the non-turbo 17 inch section.

Does the fact that no model/year is listed beside the MPS2's mean that they are appropriate for all models and years?
Old 02-24-2009, 12:24 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,139 Likes on 1,281 Posts

Originally Posted by dutchcrunch
I can tell you that porsche approved N rated tires have substantial tire side wall stiffness compared to non n rated tires. not to say all non n rated tires but this is what i have seen and compared.

I think the incresed side wall stiffness is important to increase stable handling in turns and sudden or abrupt manuvering.

i had some michelin pilot mxx3 n1 tires that were replaced and the side wall was thick and solid. they guy that dismouted them told me they were a bear and the side wall was thick. i seen some pilot sport non n rated summer high rated spees tires and the walls were real thin.

I put some michelin piot sport a/s on and before the tires were mounted the side wall was pretty firm. now i can tell the difference in initial turn in compared to the old michelin pilot mxx3 n 1 tire but its not very much and the ride is a lot smother and some what not as harsh.

so my hunch is if you do not get the n rated tires look for a tire with firm sidewalls.

if you buy the n rated tire i guess it takes the guess work out and you know your getting a tire that performs in hand with you cars capabilities.

tires are important over cost as what the use of having a porsche that handles like some toyota corolla when you pushing it in a corner.

i do own a corolla and belive me you i would not be happpy if the porsche felt like that washy boat in a turn. i know its a differnt car but when you push on the car from the side you can see the rim swaying left and right on the tire. this is not what you want on your porsche.

wrong tire will compare to playing sports with some crapppy to big for you feet tennis shoes.

just go to the tire store one day and look at the tires on display and put your hand on the side wall and get a feel for what i am trying to explain. you will get a better understanding from what i am talking about. most people probably never done this but this will give you an idea how well the tire is made and build quality.

also get the correct size tire for your car, puting on a bigger tire being an N tire or not will cause problems too.

dont be cheap on the tires, you will be rewarded if you get the correct high performance for you car.

i like nike shoes and wal mart speacial wont do. your car no different.

i will shut up now, good luck
Stiff sidewall is not always a good thing. With low profile tires it has a tendency to do more damage to the rim with hard impact and makes for a harsh and noisy ride. IMO the MPS2's are some spectacular tires. They have a relatively soft sidewall and are N rated for my turbo. The drive comfort and handling is night and day compared to the Pirelli's also N rated and much stiffer sidewall. I also do not feel comfortable driving on Continentals some people like them. Porsche also approved the MXX3 and the original S02's. I had both these tires on my cars and disliked both tremendously. So these are approved tires that you could not pay me to put back on my cars.

IMO it is a bit of hype and a way for Porsche to prevent any lawsuits by claiming the tire might be at fault when they did not approve it.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:29 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by breale01
The way I read the table, the MPS2s are superior in dry and wet to the Pirelli (+++ vs ++). I'm looking at the non-turbo 17 inch section.

Does the fact that no model/year is listed beside the MPS2's mean that they are appropriate for all models and years?
That is interesting. I have the MPS2's on 3 cars along with multiple other sets of tires and rims. I use the 17's on my GTS and My C2 for street driving. Have used them in 18" sizes on my C2 for track use. I actually find the 17's to be slightly better than the 18's. For 18" size they claim the Pirelli is better IMO it is not. For 18" size they list the MPS2 as ++ and ++ as where the Pirelli's they list as ++ and +++. Not a chance that the Pirelli is better. I have total traction with the MPS2 in the rain and nothing but tire spin with the Pirelli.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:39 PM
dutchcrunch
Rennlist Member

Default michelin mxx3

Hey Anthony,

Yea those michelin pilot mxx3 were harsh, real harsh, but one thing i will give them credit on is when you put steering wheel input in those tire followed fast real fast and the plant was on dead on.

my new replacement michelin pilot sport a/s ride like a dream!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-24-2009, 01:17 PM
Henry964
Addict
Rennlist Member

This whole N rating thing annoys me....
The tyres I use in my 964 are N rated for the 997, but not for the 964, so Porsche tells me that I can only use them if I buy a 997?

I smell cross selling issues here (big contracts and big money exchanging between Porsche and some Tire manufactures)
Old 02-24-2009, 01:36 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Henry964
I smell cross selling issues here (big contracts and big money exchanging between Porsche and some Tire manufactures)
...and filters, and spark plug wires, and gaskets, and engine mounts, and, and, and... a bunch of other rubberish stuff.
Old 02-24-2009, 04:07 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

just go to the tire store one day and look at the tires on display and put your hand on the side wall and get a feel for what i am trying to explain. you will get a better understanding from what i am talking about. most people probably never done this but this will give you an idea how well the tire is made and build quality.

I understand what you are saying, but have you ever lifted a Hoosier R6, felt the weight and the "thickness" of the sidewalls, etc.? It will likely be the lightest, very thin tire that you will find with a DOT rating (slicks are even lighter and more thin). I have used many sets, on many different 911s, and I can tell you that they have quick turn-in, are very responsive, and will not remind you of a Toyota.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:41 PM
Megatron-UK
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Seriously folks, just how much testing do you think Porsche still do with tyres for a 20 year old model?
Old 02-25-2009, 04:06 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I can tell you that porsche approved N rated tires have substantial tire side wall stiffness compared to non n rated tires. not to say all non n rated tires but this is what i have seen and compared.

I think the incresed side wall stiffness is important to increase stable handling in turns and sudden or abrupt manuvering.

i had some michelin pilot mxx3 n1 tires that were replaced and the side wall was thick and solid. they guy that dismouted them told me they were a bear and the side wall was thick. i seen some pilot sport non n rated summer high rated spees tires and the walls were real thin.

I put some michelin piot sport a/s on and before the tires were mounted the side wall was pretty firm. now i can tell the difference in initial turn in compared to the old michelin pilot mxx3 n 1 tire but its not very much and the ride is a lot smother and some what not as harsh.

so my hunch is if you do not get the n rated tires look for a tire with firm sidewalls.

if you buy the n rated tire i guess it takes the guess work out and you know your getting a tire that performs in hand with you cars capabilities.

tires are important over cost as what the use of having a porsche that handles like some toyota corolla when you pushing it in a corner.

i do own a corolla and belive me you i would not be happpy if the porsche felt like that washy boat in a turn. i know its a differnt car but when you push on the car from the side you can see the rim swaying left and right on the tire. this is not what you want on your porsche.

wrong tire will compare to playing sports with some crapppy to big for you feet tennis shoes.

also get the correct size tire for your car, puting on a bigger tire being an N tire or not will cause problems too.

dont be cheap on the tires, you will be rewarded if you get the correct high performance for you car.

i like nike shoes and wal mart speacial wont do. your car no different.

i will shut up now, good luck
I take it you're in the tire biz.................

Funny to see this still has legs. UPS just dropped off a set of Bridgestone RE01-R's that I guess I'll go mount in awhile (with a manual tire machine) on the spare Kinesis wheels. $413/set shipped. If I spent double (which this line was until earlier this week), the tire still would not be the limiting factor in any street driving scenario.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:19 PM
Computamedic
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Megatron-UK
Seriously folks, just how much testing do you think Porsche still do with tyres for a 20 year old model?
Maybe you'd be quite surprised. Have a look at the report produced only in June of last year (click here) and you will see that the engineers at Weissach have evaluated a good number of tyres on cars that date back to the early '80s. These are modern tyres too - not 20 year old versions.

Regards

Dave
Old 02-25-2009, 07:36 PM
Henry964
Addict
Rennlist Member

still Dave I am amazed that a Tyre is N rated for a 997, and not for our 964s, being that the weight distribution and rear engined config is the same
If the sides of a tyre are stiff enough for a 997 they must be same for a 964
Please correct me if I'm wrong
Old 02-25-2009, 10:52 PM
dutchcrunch
Rennlist Member

Default tire biz

Hello Race 911, no i am not in the tire business, never sold them. just spent a little time looking at tires
Old 02-26-2009, 02:47 AM
Computamedic
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

still Dave I am amazed that a Tyre is N rated for a 997, and not for our 964s, being that the weight distribution and rear engined config is the same
I haven't looked into this in any detail at all, but, on the face of it I'd be quite surprised if the 997 uses the same sizes as were specified for the 964. As far as Porsche are concerned, bear in mind that the 964 was only ever sold with 16" or 17" wheels - and I don't think the 997 is available with either of those.

I know that the 18" Bridgestone S-02s that I have on my car are approved for fitment to the Boxster (front) and 996 (rear). There is no question of what they are NOT approved for.

I would tend to agree with your assumption.

Regards

Dave
Old 02-26-2009, 11:16 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Computamedic
Maybe you'd be quite surprised. Have a look at the report produced only in June of last year (click here) and you will see that the engineers at Weissach have evaluated a good number of tyres on cars that date back to the early '80s. These are modern tyres too - not 20 year old versions.

Regards

Dave
Irrespective of the amount of testing they might do. I find most of the tires on their list to be poor performers. I have used several of them on my Porsche's and do not feel comfortable on most of them. I have also used a number of tires not on their list that IMO are superior in every aspect to some of those on their list.

Well considering Porsche changed rolling diameters for the 997 over what was previously used i would say it is apples an oranges.

Quick Reply: N-Rated tyres yes or no