Sponsored by:

Are rear speakers standard?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 04:57 AM
carby
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scottbt320
Just been to Sydney porsche centre, the grills cost me $55 Aus each but the original speakers are no longer available so it will be aftermarket again. I will also need to devise a way of fitting the factory grills as they are designed to clip onto the factory speakers. Will keep you posted.

Scott
Hi Scott. The sooner you come over to Camperdown and check out my car the better!

I've already been down this path, the factory 4x6s were literally rotted away, ie. nothing left of the cone. I pondered getting some off FleaBay from a reputable manufacturer but the dollar plunged and I lost interest (AM radio never sounded so bad...HA! I eventually read up in the DIY section of this site (a veritable cornucopia of weekend projects) and replaced the rears with $A69.95 Boston Acoustics from Jayco and reused the factory grill (they just popped off with a little screwdriver persuasion). I had to use some Neoprene door/window sealer strip from Bunnings to narrow the gap (as you note, the grills are a tad too large to fit back on). They dont 'clip' onto the speaker surrounds but the fit is snug and wont come off unless I manage to flip the car on its roof...in which case the speaker covers will be the last thing on my mind.

The sound is now fractionally better than before (I also changed the fronts to $$ Alpine splits)....I concur with Lonnie about the challenge of getting a decent sound environment from an aircooled 911, it would take a decent subwoofer in the rear foot wells and a wad of soundproofing on that big old 6 cyclinder bass bin slung out back, belching out mid freq. canceling soundwaves as soon as you fire it up.

I'd still like a more aesthetically sympathetic headunit for the car (Becker) but for now its a windows down symphony of 'no cat and a GPipe' that plays Mantovani over 4 grand!
Old 02-26-2009, 06:28 AM
IanR
Racer

Just been to Sydney porsche centre, the grills cost me $55 Aus each but the original speakers are no longer available so it will be aftermarket again. I will also need to devise a way of fitting the factory grills as they are designed to clip onto the factory speakers. Will keep you posted.

Scott
There's a 944 part (944.555.159.00 I think) which lets you mount any standard 6x4 speaker, and that the original grilles will clip on to.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:30 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,307 Likes on 1,365 Posts

Scott
The PO of my turbo replaced the factory speakers with MB quartz up front and pioneers in the rear. All use the original grills. The rear speakers are some model I have no way of determining without removing the back panel however, they were screwed in place and then they used a small bead of black RTV silicone just enough to hold the grills in place. I don't have any pictures but unless you were looking for it there is no way to tell it is not factory.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:41 PM
Tuscany964
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by breale01
It would be interesting to know if you have an original amplifier somewhere, and if you have option code 494 listed one time, or two.

Looking forward to any pictures.

Grazie
Sorry it took so long but here are some pics. The head mechanic at my local P garage is checking out the option codes - apparently the (speaker) supplier may vary depending on the year.

Sorry about the quality but that's what they look like inside the grill...

I've added a couple pics of the front speakers and soud system as well. Hope this helps.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:53 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tuscany964
Sorry it took so long but here are some pics. The head mechanic at my local P garage is checking out the option codes - apparently the (speaker) supplier may vary depending on the year.

Sorry about the quality but that's what they look like inside the grill...

I've added a couple pics of the front speakers and soud system as well. Hope this helps.
I didn't think the blaupunkt was a factory installed unit. usually it was a CR-1 or CD-2. BTW it looks like one of your drivers in the door is shot.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:02 PM
Crystal Cranks
Racer

I've never turned the radio on but I'm sure there are speakers in there...
When (if) you do turn on the radio I think you will find those front speakers are shot, most of them look like they have rotted away.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:08 PM
Tuscany964
Racer

Originally Posted by cobalt
I didn't think the blaupunkt was a factory installed unit. usually it was a CR-1 or CD-2. BTW it looks like one of your drivers in the door is shot.
What's a CR-1 or CD-2? You guys are giving me some good excuses to ditch the whole sound system Are you sure the Blaupunkt wasn't OEM on Euro 964's?
Old 02-26-2009, 02:34 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

What's a CR-1 or CD-2? You guys are giving me some good excuses to ditch the whole sound system Are you sure the Blaupunkt wasn't OEM on Euro 964's?
Good point. US models were supplied with a CR-1 which was a cassette player and a CD-2 which was a CD player. I have no idea what came standard in ROW cars. In either case the Porsche supplied head units for the US were made by Blaupunkt and had blaupunkt amps. In general terms they suck royally.

I attached pictures of the CR-1 in my turbo and the CD-2 in my GTS. Sorry about the picture quality. I have replaced both with Nakamichi CD500's Third picture. looks almost stock and sounds 1 million times better with less chance of skip in the CD. It also has true 24 bit sound MP3 connection and a very powerful built in amp. or can be used with a separate amp if desired.
Attached Images    
Old 02-26-2009, 03:50 PM
Tuscany964
Racer

Originally Posted by cobalt
Good point. US models were supplied with a CR-1 which was a cassette player and a CD-2 which was a CD player. I have no idea what came standard in ROW cars. In either case the Porsche supplied head units for the US were made by Blaupunkt and had blaupunkt amps. In general terms they suck royally.

I attached pictures of the CR-1 in my turbo and the CD-2 in my GTS. Sorry about the picture quality. I have replaced both with Nakamichi CD500's Third picture. looks almost stock and sounds 1 million times better with less chance of skip in the CD. It also has true 24 bit sound MP3 connection and a very powerful built in amp. or can be used with a separate amp if desired.
Just checked out my (euro) car mags from '89 and '90 and the speakers were all exactly like mine. The stereos were all Blaupunkts but apparently they were an option - whereas the speakers were standard (I would guess unless you ordered some sort of speaker upgrade which included an amp).

Completely OT but how's the 928? I always liked them especially the GT and GTS And how was the 944 S2? I wouldn't mind stripping one to use as a track car...
Old 02-26-2009, 05:20 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Just checked out my (euro) car mags from '89 and '90 and the speakers were all exactly like mine. The stereos were all Blaupunkts but apparently they were an option - whereas the speakers were standard (I would guess unless you ordered some sort of speaker upgrade which included an amp).

Completely OT but how's the 928? I always liked them especially the GT and GTS And how was the 944 S2? I wouldn't mind stripping one to use as a track car...
Well wrong crowd for this but IMO the GTS is the best GT car ever made. I have driven some F cars that were equally nice but much more luxurious and did not hold up as well for far more money. Not that they weren't great cars but I like the German engineering. The car is heavy and everything about it is laid back compared to the 911's but once in it on a nice open road they are pure pleasure to drive. The best part is the torque is strong from 1200 rpms to redline so you can drive in traffic without shifting gears. In a 944 or 964 you would be shifting constantly. The 928 is a car you want to drive at 140 mph plus all day long in.

The 944S2 is a very nice track toy. Well balanced easy to drive to its limits and has a nice amount of low end torque for a 4 banger. Could not be any more different than the 928. Climbing out of one into the other only amplified the differences. I enjoyed the car and wish I still had it but IMO the 964 is just such a perfect balance of old school charm, raw sports car feel and 911 handling which IMO is the ultimate expression of a sports car driving pleasure.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:20 PM
Tuscany964
Racer

Thanks
Old 02-27-2009, 01:32 AM
scottbt320
Intermediate

Thanks guys, you've saved me a lot of time. Looks like I'll change the fronts as well. Carby, will try and drop in this weekend. Looking forward to seeing your 964.

Scott

Quick Reply: Are rear speakers standard?