Sponsored by:

Cat bypass fitted today

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 04:26 PM
mr pg
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cat bypass fitted today

Well it's on! Started off well with the 2 nearest bolts coming off in a few minutes, but the back 2 and the clamp to the primary silencer were not budging. Neither were some of the tinware screws which would have given me much better access.
So out came the Dremmell, including flexi drive. Without this, it wouldn't have been possible. Some persistance, and off they came with the use of small grinding discs.
Next was the O2 sensor. There was no need to remove the rear blower as some had suggested. All I did was to remove the tubing connected to the blower which just left enough to get my hands through.
The new (Hayward & Scott) pipe fitted perfectly, needing a slight sdjustment of the split clamp olive to stop a small leak.
Very happy to have got it done, and there's a slight improvement to the exhaust note. Next upgrade I hope to be a replacement chip (when money allows). Great weather today, so a chance finally, after a month in the garage to get out and enjoy.
Old 02-21-2009, 05:12 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts
Wink

I love Mr. Dremel.

(...as well as Messrs. Vice-Grip, Torch, Impact Tool, Breaker Bar, Chisel, & Sledge. When all else fails, those lads give you an edge.)
Old 02-21-2009, 06:21 PM
964russ
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Them cats dont do anything, get rid.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:26 AM
DrewC2
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is prob the 3rd or 4th time I've swapped out a cat on one of my cars...usually it sounds a little better/deeper and I know the engine is breathing better. But, wow, on the 964 it's the first time I've really noticed a (seat of the pants) difference...car spools up quicker and pulls harder. No difference in overall sound level which again is the opposite of what I usually find. Definately recommend this mod...mid-pipe is next.

Quick Reply: Cat bypass fitted today