Sponsored by:

A little guidance on potential purchase of my first 964 C2

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 06:53 PM
Van Larson
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 109 Posts
Default 964

That 964 is at D&M Corvette in Lombard, I believe. I looked at it awhile ago--it is nice. PPI at Midwest Eurosport, Fischer Motors or Euroquipe would be in order. Suggest low 20's if good report, FWIW.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:20 PM
Streetfighter
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Warpig, I know this car and the owner if you want more info please let me know.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:05 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bearclaw
I just noticed that the original car in question has the "V For Victory Carpet Vacuuming Pattern". There's where the $25K comes from.

Seriously though, it looks like a nice car.
My god!!!! Thats EXACTLY what I thought when I saw the pics and was about to type almost the exact same reply!!
Old 02-20-2009, 11:01 PM
Warpig
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by springer3
Paint looks way too good for 72 K miles, so that is probably a re-spray. Original paint is very durable, especially on garage-kept cars, which this appears to be. Therefore the re-spray implies major collision history.

Regardless, 25 K is way high in this market. Cars fetching that or more have rare options or half that many miles and zero collision history (original paint).
that's what scared me to begin with was the paint looks very very nice, almost a slap me this is too good to be true situation, which got me to thinking... either the premium price is because it's legit or because the re-spray just makes it look so nice, but which? Queue my painter friend fwiw I have never seen a car with 70,000 miles with paint this clean that has not been re-sprayed.

Originally Posted by doug751
Let me just say this right up front. When you buy that car, even if it is near perfect, you are going to want to take it for a complete fluid change and it may need to have the valves adjusted. That will cost about $1200 to $2000 depending on whom you take it to. If the shocks are stock, they will be gone. Factor in $1200 more for Bilsteins and an alignment. So right off the bat you are looking at perhaps $2200 to $3000 to make the car right.

Now, if the car is neglected, you will spend all that, plus whatever else is wrong. If there are any rust bubbles near the front or rear glass, walk away.

Most of these cars leak a little oil. My latest does not leak at all. They can fix the big source of leaks when you go to get the valves adjusted. Other sources for the leaks are the cam chain covers and the power steering pump shaft seal.

The AC is expensive to fix.

One more thing to say. It is a lot more fun to buy a car with nice paint and interior and spend a few $K more for that because it is nearly impossible to bring a ratty car back to that condition. The interior parts are nearly impossible to find and very expensive, or you can buy used and they will most likely be in worse condition than what you have.
Thanks for all this info... I need to look into the service history records and hopefully find most of these things done already... If not I will definately keep the extra 3K in mind if we get to the bargaining table. Thanks this is great info.

Originally Posted by Bull
...drive the car and see how it runs and feels to you. If it performs well and you still like the car, make them an offer pending the outcome of a full PPI. If you come to a price that you feel comfortable paying ($20k - $22K??), have a full PPI completed by a reputable independent Porsche shop. A good shop will be able to spot any previous damage repair and repaint (not reported to police or insurance so not on CARFAX). Having great paint doesn't mean there was damage, just as poor paint doesn't mean there was no damage. A paint meter and a visual inspection will tell that tale.
Already told them I would want to take it for a PPI and they had no problems with that idea. I was looking to spend about 20K on the top end but may consider a little more if she's the real deal as I love the color and interior combo. They look great together.

Originally Posted by Scotty964cab
Regardless if you purchase the car, drive it. Like really drive it! Take the car around town, parking lots, highways and twisty roads...
I'd have it no other way!

Originally Posted by Scotty964cab
...get on the web. Check the market, see what's available. Ebay and craigslist is a way to test the true market price of a 964 C2. You'll find your dream car for less then you expect.
Been doing a ton of this lately but I've only been searching about a 150 mile radius.
I havent considered anything further away dont want to go through shipping etc.

Originally Posted by Bearclaw
That car looks very nice and I love the color combo. Just generalizing, I have observed that if a car looks like it's been taken care of cosmetically, it *usually* will have at least a decent level of mechanical care as well. You're looking at an 18-yr.-old car. Good eyeball appeal and a fistfull of service receipts is often about as good as it gets.

PM me if you want help with a Carfax.

If everything checks out, in this market that looks like an $18-19K car. Maybe a $1-2K bump for condition.
I agree, I really like the color combo as well I didn't think I would before I went to see the car I am usually not too fond of grey but this car looks very sharp. I think I liked it so much because the grey is very deep and not silvery. The Grey interior is my first choice on my wishlist. so far of the cars i have looked at the grey seems to hold up the best then the tan.

Originally Posted by BlueHeeler
With respect to mileage, the 964 at the Chicago dealer is out of line with every other 964 in the country... and for no apparent reason.
I was thinking this myself with the thought that most likely, the inflated price is because the paint/interior.

Originally Posted by Streetfighter
Warpig, I know this car and the owner if you want more info please let me know.
That would be great If you want to PM me I'd love to hear what you know.

Thanks everyone for your input thus far it has been great.

Nick
Old 02-21-2009, 10:28 AM
mojo747
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Am I rational in my thinking that I would rather have a car with a few more miles that has already had most of the major work done to it? Rather that paying a low mileage premium on a car that will require alot of work in the future? My car had 102k when I bought it but I got 16kin reciepts from the previous 4 years. I just replaced the oil lines, and had some minor things fixed like cruise, idle control. After it needs nothing, including a Procooler, I'll have $25k in it. It has had the bumper resprayed for pebblerash. But otherwise original. I'm very satisfied with the car.

Quick Reply: A little guidance on potential purchase of my first 964 C2