Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery drain in 2 days - new record?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 09:57 AM
Cheeksyboy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery drain in 2 days - new record?

Does anyone know of a decent auto-electrician in the South Dublin, North Co Wicklow area of Ireland who might be able to trace the earthing issue I suspect I have ?

I replaced my 3 year old battery as it kept losing power if the car was left for a few days...but the new battery is doing the same and I can't see anything obvious from an intial (cursory) inspection of the 'obvious' points (door light points, etc) .....

I am wondering if my failed Toad alarm may have something to do with this, so the sparky may need to know about car alarms !

All help gratefully received.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:40 AM
Scotty964cab
Racer

Check out the contact point for the light switch in the trunk. I was having the same problem and I corrected ii easily. The metal had bent and was not allowing for contact. Good luck!
Old 02-19-2009, 01:11 AM
dougn
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts

mine does this now and then.....inconsistant. i think i discovered the problem.

you notice how the window remains operational untill you open the door? i think the door light switch causes other circuits to disable when it is activated....ie, when you open the door after you turn the ignition key switch to off. it's not until you open the door that the window stops operating. anyway if your interior light doesn't come on when you open the door (due to a bad contact in the door switch, then the window ckt (and maybe other ckts) stay on and draw current.

bottom line ....check to see if your interior light comes on when you open the door.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:05 AM
kosh
Advanced

My light comes on and my windows still work! Is this not the norm?
I have a full closure kit on my alarm, maybe that's why?
My new battery lasts 2-3 days tops if the cars parked up.

I have a toad alarm too
Old 02-19-2009, 11:45 AM
dougn
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts

my windows stop working when i open the door and my light comes on. if my light doesn't come on, the windows continue to work untill i push the door jamb switch untill the lights come on.....then the windows cease to work. so....it seems our cars are working differently. does your window continue to work indefinately?
Old 02-19-2009, 02:43 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 811 Likes on 497 Posts

Grant,

not much help but may I suggest you install a battery switch to prevent it from discharging? The only negative is that you need to re-set the clock before you take yuour fie breathing animal back on the track.

Cheers,

Frank
Old 02-20-2009, 06:34 AM
Cheeksyboy
Burning Brakes

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions......I will attempt to get to the bottom of the 'leak' and let you know in case it also solves your probs.....

...and Frank, I think I'll fit the battery kill switch anyway......Oh and hope I didn't leave too many scorch marks on your front bumper ! Once I get my suspension sorted I should at least be able to make use of the extra 9M horses !
Old 02-20-2009, 07:56 AM
newsboy
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

To isolate the source of the drain, check the fuse box with a multimeter. Make sure the hood light is disconnected. Disconnect the battery negative ground. Place the multimeter between the neg. battery terminal and chassis. You should see some current flow. Start pulling fuses.When the current drops,this will probably be where you problem is.

Quick Reply: Battery drain in 2 days - new record?