First spoiler issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 11:08 AM
Henry964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy First spoiler issue

Today I took the 964 to a nice fast ride (30 miles at high speed on a highway riding in a hot summer day)

When I parked my car at home I noticed the rear spoiler was up, after a few minutes waiting, I made it come down easily with the manual switch.

Now my smile was starting to disappear with images of expensive parts flashing before my eyes.

Could this be a once in a while failure - it had worked perfectly till now - or should I try to investigate more and start saving
Old 02-15-2009, 11:28 AM
DAVISRILEY
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you shut the car off while still rolling? I have done that a few times, and if I shut it off when it is still moving, the spoiler stays up. Never had any other issues with it, and it goes right back to normal after. Good luck.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:40 AM
Computamedic
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Enrique,

I posted the same reply on Yahoo too.

Failure for the spoiler to come down automatically is usually a problem with the “up” microswitch. There are 2 microswitches in the spoiler mechanism (under the plastic cover) – one to determine the “up” limit and one for the “down” limit. If the “up” switch is out of adjustment or otherwise inoperative the spoiler will be jammed up against the stop and the electronic controller won’t know that it’s “up” – therefore it will make no attempt to put it down. The manual switch doesn’t need to know it’s up or down – it just operates the down relay.

If you take the cover off the switches are fairly apparent. They have little metal fingers which bear against the spoiler mechanism and operate the little “tit” on the switch itself. It’s complicated to explain but much simpler to see.

Regards

Dave
Old 02-15-2009, 12:22 PM
Henry964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Davisriley and Dave!!!

I will keep testing next time and if it does again I will take it to my mechanic
Old 02-15-2009, 12:52 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

PM sent. There are posts on troubleshooting the spoiler system. They are very reliable, and therefore worth fixing when the rare failure occurs.
Old 02-15-2009, 02:15 PM
foxford
Rennlist Member

Unrelated to your problem I'm sure, but I once had a spoiler-down failure accompanied by an on dash warning. Upon inspection I fould that the screws holding the mechanism together on the drivers side had worked their way loose. Fortunately, the nut was not lost as it was still caught in the mechanism's plastic housing. Now I check it once in a while to make sure the fastener hasn't worked loose again. FWIW.

Quick Reply: First spoiler issue