Received 825 Likes on 507 Posts

Originally Posted by 993PET
Love em!
Old 02-13-2009, 12:12 AM
BlueHeeler
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ricker1970
Thanks for the words of wisdom guys. A credit union sounds like the way to go.
Most definitely credit unions can work with you. A standard used car loan probably will not cover a 20 year old car, forget them. If you get an unsecured personal loan you will be looking at 15% depending on credit. Yuck. A credit union will put you at ~6%. Yeah! But they own the title to your car.

I went with the home equity loan which is a loan against the equity in my house. The difference between a credit union an home equity is with home you are borrowing against yourself, you are given cash and hold the Porsche title. The interest rate is 4%. I paid that loan off so if I sell the house I get all of the money. If i did not pay early and sold my house, the bank would take the difference from my selling price. Having paid I now have a revolving line of credit at 4% if the motor goes pop.

If you own a home, do not bother with personal loans.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:44 AM
scott watkins
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My advice would be the same as cwrm4, if you can't pay cash don't buy it.

However, if you do plan to finance use First Again (www.firstagain.com). These are the folks that started People First.

Good luck!
Old 02-13-2009, 10:31 AM
krisedwards
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would add one thing to Scott's advice. If you can't pay cash, and you don't know a thing about working on cars, don't buy it. It will need work, and if you have to rely on a mechanic, you'll be upside down in no time.

Now if you find a REALLY good deal. Beg, borrow, do what you gota do, because they hold their value so well.

Quick Reply: Auto financing