Need Help !!! - Intermittent Blower Fan

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 05:38 PM
Vlocity
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Need Help !!! - Intermittent Blower Fan

Hi,

First of all, I just comleted a distributor belt change followed by an oil change this weekend. I was feeling pretty impressed with myself, until on the test drive I realized that the front fans were not operating correctly.

I have tried to do a little further diagnosis.

First of all, does the orientation of the two wires for the ballast resistor in the
plastic tube directly below the rear blower motor matter? It's possible that I could have switched them. I changed them to the alternate position and this did not seem to make any difference.

The rear blower motor appears to be running at low speed all the time.

The front fans are intermittent. They jump on to high, run a few seconds and then shut back off. It doesn't seem to matter if the heat is clear on, defrost, AC etc. No stable 2- 3 - 4 fan.

I checked Fuse #1 and replaced it - it tested OK. I tested fuse 17 and it also is OK. I switched the two relays one for other R 4 for R14 ( I believe...don't have the reference lid here to double check the number) and that also did not seem to make any difference.

I jumped the ballast resistor and no change. I pulled it out and it clearly is not open. I am wondering if I broke a wire in the harness to the ballast resistor or did something else while moving the things aside I needed to in order to pull the distributor.

I am in dire need to put this vehicle back on the road, I am headed out on an assignment and while I am gone, the spouse will need to drive this car.

I am headed back out to the garage to do some continuity testing, but really hope some one can chime in with a solution.

Thanks,

Ken
Old 02-08-2009, 06:03 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...t-working.html
Old 02-09-2009, 09:13 AM
Vlocity
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Got it !

The link above gave me some clues and I was able to figure things out.

First I found that the ballast resitior had tripped, I was just testing the coil with where I put my test leads. I pressed back down on the metal strip and it clicked and reset. Further, I wasn't even aware that there were fuses inside the box on the drivers side in the engine compartment. I thought that all the fuses were in the front. Looking in the rear box I found that the 30 amp fuse had blown.

So put everything back together and went for a half hour drive and all is well.

Thanks for the help !!!

Ken

Quick Reply: Need Help !!! - Intermittent Blower Fan