Sponsored by:

Latest Total911 964 article

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 10:37 AM
Gelignite
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Latest Total911 964 article

For anyone who hasn't read this the author basically compares his 964 with a relatively new VW Golf and comes to the conclusion that cars have advanced so far in the last 15 years that even a porsche from early 90's is very dated today but should be recognised and enjoyed for what it is. This was quite interesting for me, as I plan to start a whole load of suspension upgrades, and it caused me to consider if I was doing the right thing. For example should I actually trade in for a newer 911. Having thought things through though I am convinced of the upgrade path because I love the raw feeling of the 964 but yet I don't need to be a body builder to park it, I like the noise from the engine, I like that you don't have to be going crazy speed on the public road to get real feedback and enjoyment, I like the classic look, could go on and I know this is familiar to most if not all.
Would be interested to hear other peoples thoughts on that article? I do think the guy was quite brave to write it though and suspect the magazine might be in for some less than balanced responses!
Steve
Old 02-01-2009, 12:16 PM
Tuscany964
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did he also come to the conclusion that an audi tt is much more capable than a lambo miura? At 150mph the miura makes a hell of a racket, is unstable and in some cases frightening. I'm sure you could drive a tt at that speed while sipping on a cup of tea and listening to the radio while adjusting the satnav... Would you ever choose a tt over a miura?

Cars are for involvement (i.e.- the way they make you feel) and not refinement and ease of use (i.e.- electronic aids) IMHO.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:38 PM
patela
Rennlist Member

I thought we all knew this already. You don't drive these cars because it makes sense, you drive them because it makes sense to YOU.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:41 PM
J-F-O
Instructor

I haven't read the article but the conclusion may be correct.

The question is: Which do you enjoy the most? The new VW or the old 964?

Twenty years is a long time when considering automobile technology

I consider my 964 part of history. I don't expect it to outperform more recent cars.

Take a drive in a new BMW 335i or the new Audi A4.

Last edited by J-F-O; 02-01-2009 at 08:19 PM.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:42 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

Which would YOU rather drive? Thought so. Do the mods and enjoy the car! It will be a very different car when you're finished with it, and will satisfy you to no end. Make sure you make the suspension stiff enough. I don't find the H&R reds with the bilsteins anywhere near stiff enough. The suspension alone will make you KNOW the P-car is the superior car. Oh and it will hold it's value up to about $25K US (standard C2 with Mods) for a properly set up car.

Good Luck!!
Old 02-01-2009, 01:09 PM
demonfish
Burning Brakes

if only you'd been at the 911uk sprint day at curborough, i'd have made your mind up for you.
Old 02-01-2009, 01:38 PM
ValveFloat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by christallon
Which would YOU rather drive?!
Having recently traded a late model VW for a 964, my choice is obvious.

Regrets? None so far!
Old 02-01-2009, 02:01 PM
james944
Instructor

Originally Posted by patela
You don't drive these cars because it makes sense, you drive them because it makes sense to YOU.
I don't think I could say it better.

I would like to add that, as best I can tell, the new golf makes 211–230 HP and weighs over 3000 lbs. So I don't see how, even in terms of just basic specifications, it could be considered more fun than a well maintained 964.

As for the intangible experience of driving... I don't think you'll find anyone who has really driven an older porsche who would trade the mechanical symphony, road noise, and the harmonious brutality with which these cars brake and corner, for the low-fi, detached, and compromised driving experience newer front wheel drive sedans and hatchbacks offer.

Do the mods. You'll have an awesome car, and in the long run it's better for the world (and you) to keep your older porsche on the road than to buy a new car.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:32 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

I haven't read the article so I don't know whether it is being taken out of context here or not.

I drove a 2007 Mercedes C-class for a few months in the summer and I have never missed my 964 so much! The handling was awful, the transmission was awful and the build-quality was simply atrocious, ATROCIOUS!!! When I got my new 964 I actually felt like I was moving into a more advanced car in terms of quality and handling yet without the ridiculous trimmings that sadly even Porsche is adding to its cars nowadays.

On a performance only basis, I don't see how anyone could really argue that a 964 is lacking. Of course there are faster cars but our cars are still extremely capable and more than capable of providing the thrills. To argue otherwise is really just being pedantic imo. People seem to care more about iPOD jacks, lights that follow the road, GPS, computer data, stopwatches etc, etc. Personally I love getting in my car and escaping technology, feeling how purpose-built it is. One buys an older Porsche because they love cars, one buys a modern car because, like so many people I see on the road, they dislike actual driving and want a million different distractions to keep their wee minds occupied!
Old 02-01-2009, 03:08 PM
cwrm4
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Once, my A4 got clobbered by an uninsured drunk. It took 6 weeks to repair, and my insurance only paid for a rental for 4 weeks. So, for 2 whole weeks, I had to use my TR6 as my main mode of transport. In Houston. In the summer. I've never had so much fun, even though the A4 was a far more superior car by any metric other than the fun quotient.

I am reminded of that Top Gear episode where they tested an E-type and a DB4. With upgraded suspension etc, the E-type matched a new Audi TT around the Top Gear Test Track.

If you think you need to buy a newer Porsche due to performance and more modern features, you might as well just outright trade your 964 for a WRX.
Old 02-01-2009, 05:32 PM
Low 964
Pro

Stupid comparisson, any way wife had an Audi A3 1.8 T, when I bought my very low miles turbo 2....I was utterly blown away by the car, considering it was 11 years old, it was superb in any comparrison with a modern car.

I bought the 964 after selling my GT3 mk2, the 964 is rawrer, more fun costs less and I can play with it in the garage ( its great, and as long as I dont depend on it as a daily I can work on it at my leisure and pocket, and improve performance as I go.

Plus its a 911 at the end of the day, that is history and turns heads every where.
Old 02-01-2009, 05:36 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I get equal enjoyment out of both my cars only in different ways
Old 02-01-2009, 05:42 PM
Twood
Racer

I had a brand new Cayman S for a weekend a couple of weeks ago.
Very nice car but can I say a little boring. 295HP, very quiet, did everything very well, the A/C was great. Very basic in terms of appointments, no GPS, no IPod connection.
After returning the the Cayman and driving home I thought that for 1/3 the price I was very happy with my noisy, A/C challenged, park it at the supermarket carpark or do an occassional trackday 964. Just think of the depreciation on the Cayman and compare it to the 964.
Yes, the Cayman was nice but did not have the soul of my 964. Am I going senile or just getting sentimental in old age?
Old 02-01-2009, 05:48 PM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There's no cure (even today) for front wheel drive. It still sucks.
Old 02-01-2009, 06:19 PM
Gelignite
Instructor

Thanks for the upgrade encouragement - though I doubt my wife would thank you!
I probably did take the article comparison a little out of context. In no way did the author set out to compare a 964 with a golf as a normal motoring journalism comparison. It was more an accidental comparison in that he had had to drive his wife's golf. He was really coming to the same conclusion as most replies here, i.e. enjoy this fantastic machine but accept it is not a modern day super car.
Still feels like one to me though

Quick Reply: Latest Total911 964 article