Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1994 C4 widebody. Rare?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 11:23 AM
Trader220
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

I mentioned on an earlier thread that I have bought 2 of these wide body C4's in the pask 18/9 months both with a lot fewer miles than the car posted here and both for less than the 33k he wants.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:39 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,050 Likes on 1,230 Posts

Their is some confusion over the numbers of widebody C4's were made. The ROW received a 1993 widebody Anniversary model not offered in the US 911 units produced. Some sources say 256 units were made for the US others say much higher. Since there is no definitive info on them and all vins are combined it is hard to say how many were built for sure. Unlike the 1992 America roadster which is known to have 250 examples made.

The C4 is a nice looking car i am sure it is a fun car to drive but it suffers from excessive weight and although has the turbo body does not sport the turbo front brakes only stock brakes with the wider rear turbo rotors and calipers used on the C4.

So unless you have plans for a widebody you want to convert these are IMO worth no more than a good C4
Old 01-29-2009, 03:43 PM
pengole
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, Its funny how everyones opinion is based upon what they actually have parked in the garage. I too am biased so i like my cars more than any other model that porsche made, and for that matter i seem to only like one color. So if you are selling to me i have a particular tastes that may not suit all sellers.

However lets look at it another way - Would you pay double for almost the exact same car because it says "TURBO" on it? Lets face it most people i know wont every experience the true ability of a NA car not to mention a turbo. And all mortals would never want the cost of maintaining a turbo-trust me i know. So to some, these C4S's are just extra special, and the limited supply gives them some glitter.
Old 01-29-2009, 03:56 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pengole
Wow, Its funny how everyones opinion is based upon what they actually have parked in the garage. I too am biased so i like my cars more than any other model that porsche made, and for that matter i seem to only like one color. So if you are selling to me i have a particular tastes that may not suit all sellers.

However lets look at it another way - Would you pay double for almost the exact same car because it says "TURBO" on it? Lets face it most people i know wont every experience the true ability of a NA car not to mention a turbo. And all mortals would never want the cost of maintaining a turbo-trust me i know. So to some, these C4S's are just extra special, and the limited supply gives them some glitter.
Since you asked. I would. I love my C2 it is a great car but I easily get every drop and then some out of it. The turbo is a different animal and although I love the widebody looks the C2 is actually a more nimble easier car to drive because of the narrow body and smaller trailing arms.

The turbo is just sick. It is a raw monster of a car and when pushed to its limits you are fully aware of that fact. No matter how much fun I have in my C2 the turbo is just that much more fun. Scary at times yes but the power delivery is like no other car and if you can handle a turbo at speed you can handle just about anything.

IMO to take the disadvantages of the turbo suspension, add the weight of the AWD system and the reduced braking and the only thing the car offers is looks. granted they look great but if your going to drive a C2/C4 buy a narrow body and get the most out of it.

So although some might like the looks of a widebody C4 it has more disadvantages than advantages. IMO
Old 01-29-2009, 04:47 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,098 Likes on 410 Posts

Despite the known deficiencies of this car, I think the C4 WB still serves a market...someone like me, a car enthusiast that wants to drive a P-car casually, likes the WB look but doesn't want/need the power of the turbo and the extra cost and maintenance involved.

Ultimately to me, it is still a Porsche and has the classic feel, smell, and performance of an air-cooled. For a heavy car (3,300 lbs), it still quick, handles amazingly well, and looks damn good doing it. Relative to other 964 C2s and C4s, it can't compete in performance. But I still have fun driving mine.

As anything else, it still depends on what you want. The WB probably appeals to a narrower market than the typical Porsche buyer. The same can probably be said for the 993 C4S, but I wouldn't throw one of those out of bed either.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:52 PM
parsecnc4
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the very reasons Anthony had stated, that's why I park my AR and ocassionally drive my RSA when I get bored with my DD
Old 01-29-2009, 05:09 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by pengole

As a 965 owner I have to respectfully disagree. There's quite a bit more than just a "Turbo badge" between a C4 widebody and a 965. And one taste of that boost makes the slight increase in maintenance costs worth it many times over

That said, I still think the C4 widebody is a great car, and one of the best looking around. I wish it were RWD just because I've never been a fan of 4WD, however for a street car it's a great all-arounder. And let's be frank here, $30k for a reliable 911 with good a/c that looks like that! Come on! That's Japanese sedan money!
Old 01-29-2009, 06:31 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

I take it the WB only came as a C4 or 965....no C2's? By the way Busta, that GPW version is totally brutal looking. When are you passing it along?
Old 01-29-2009, 06:37 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by christallon
I take it the WB only came as a C4 or 965....no C2's? By the way Busta, that GPW version is totally brutal looking. When are you passing it along?
America Roadster was RWD but convertible.
Old 01-29-2009, 06:47 PM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by pcar964
America Roadster was RWD but convertible.
Does this mean 964 wide bodies can be converted to RWD the way 993 TT's can be - reasonably easy and not necessarily permanent?
Old 01-29-2009, 06:48 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by bb993tt
Does this mean 964 wide bodies can be converted to RWD the way 993 TT's can be - reasonably easy and not necessarily permanent?
It's not easy by any means, but it can be done. The 964 has an all-mechanical AWD system. The 993 has a viscous coupling.
Old 01-29-2009, 06:52 PM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the info. So ... it's not just like buying one of Viper Bob's kits and a few hours of labor?
Old 01-29-2009, 06:57 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Definitely not, hehe. It falls into the category of "if you want to make it a C2, buy a C2."
Old 01-29-2009, 07:00 PM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Hmmmmm, pity. Outstanding looking car.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:05 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by christallon
The 965 is RWD. The 993TT was the first AWD turbo.
Originally Posted by bb993tt
I know of a very nice midnight blue/cashmere C4 widebody that had been converted to RWD and euro 6 speed. Now that is a C4 worth owning.

Quick Reply: 1994 C4 widebody. Rare?