Sponsored by:

Air Box - I'm going to cut!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 05:16 PM
Livefreeandrive
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I liked the green wheels better.......What happened to the side mirror? I think I might go for that duct tape test?
Old 02-05-2009, 05:53 PM
PorscheCarrera964
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Livefreeandrive
I liked the green wheels better.......What happened to the side mirror? I think I might go for that duct tape test?
they changed it out for the kevlar or painted it later on after they sold it to him
Old 02-05-2009, 07:21 PM
mojo747
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice ride. Ditto for the car. I like the green wheels too.
Old 02-06-2009, 03:26 AM
mr pg
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, green way better IMO.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:29 AM
lunchboxbill
Instructor

Originally Posted by mr pg
I'm sorry, but **** like that shouldn't be allowed!
You can't leave it at, you have to show us the rest of the car.
i hope no one at work just saw me looking at that

i'll post a pic this weekend of my cut box - basically i got this biggest rotary type cutter i had (100mm diameter maybe) and drilled as many holes as i could into the side of the air box - i squeezed 5.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:13 AM
The Stig
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I know I might be a bit late to the dance, since you've already cut the box, but another alternative is to remove the snorkel/trumpet/horn attachment. This seems to work well with an increase in induction noise, seems to keep the wet and debris out and allows you to go back to stock if you have to.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:23 AM
PorscheCarrera964
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

anyone have a take on my style filter with no box??? wanna make sure its a good mod and not a bad one
Old 02-16-2009, 03:27 PM
Livefreeandrive
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I went for the duct tape test yesterday....The sound improves at around 4k rpm and especially at W.O. throttle which equates to a few seconds of noise before shift. If I get addicted to that sound my gas mileage is going to really suffer. On a side note it was 26 degrees F. yesterday and I thought I had warmed up the car but when I tried to drive the car back fired acouple of times and there was an immediate loss of total power? I tried feathering the throttle but it still just had no "go". This has happened a couple of time before but seemed to warm up and go away? I waited a minute and then went pretty fast in reverse, stopped, and then the car ran fine?? Upon reflection I thought of two thing: I might have ham fisted the shift lever and tried to start in 3rd gear or I am only running one distributer as that thread really spooked me. That blower housing near the lower distributer is a rubiks cube and I had real problems putting it back together when I noticed it was detached. Any thoughts
Old 03-17-2009, 01:13 AM
ValveFloat
Rennlist Member

What I did might be more hokey than duct tape, but at least it was more work.
I didn't want to mess with my air box, but I wanted something more long term than tape.
Anyway, I LOVE the sound.
Attached Images  
Old 03-17-2009, 11:16 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by ValveFloat
What I did might be more hokey than duct tape, but at least it was more work.
I didn't want to mess with my air box, but I wanted something more long term than tape.
Anyway, I LOVE the sound.
I am pretty sure you know that the filter is in backwards. Was that done to be able to hold it like that in place?

So you made your own version of the cup cover. Nice. Can you take another photo, a closeup of the clips?

I have a K&N filter if anyone wants it. Found it again while cleaning up the garage... I have been using factory filters for a few years now as I don't think that having the additional maintenance on the K&N is worth it.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:29 AM
wolv
Instructor

Awesome thread btw, I was looking for info on this.

Bill, can't wait for pics of your cut airbox, as I've been trying to get my hands on an extra to do the same.

A friend told me if I leave the airbox open with the K&N Filter, you'll end up cleaning it a lot more than usual. Sounds logical, but what'd you guys think?
Old 03-17-2009, 12:01 PM
911URGE
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheCarrera964
go into my statistics, look at my threads started, and look at the RAUH WELT thread, or the AP CARS----there are tons there

so my air filter looks just like that, only no gt3 script, sorry to sound so newb, good or bad?
Cone vs OEM Airbox or OEM filter vs K&N Filter. Its like asking what oil do you use? - you will get all kinds of responses. Do a search on "air box" and read thru the posts. There are arguments both for/against each. Ultimately its up to the owner to decide.

I had a cone filter and reverted back to the OEM air box (no holes) & filter based on comments that the filter oil used on most cone filters may have a detrimental effect to the engine based on oil analysis. Can I tell a difference? No, just less noise and its much easier to wash/detail my engine bay with the OEM air box. I would like to find another air box with holes to play with though
Old 05-02-2009, 04:10 PM
lunchboxbill
Instructor

As promised (better late than never!)

Old 05-03-2009, 11:38 AM
mperez
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I've been following this thread and this is the result. Need to clean up the edges for a more professional look.
Mike
Attached Images   
Old 05-03-2009, 11:54 AM
Mark J
Trial Rennlist

is the induction roar a whole lot louder with either a) just the trumpet removed or b) the box side cut ala cup cars ?

ps...looks like the garage monster has been chomping on your airbox

Quick Reply: Air Box - I'm going to cut!