Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Knock Sensor (#2) how difficult to replace?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 07:21 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Knock Sensor (#2) how difficult to replace?

Think I may need to replace the knock sensor, although I may have misread the code.

My check engine light came on yesterday. I used the flashing CEL method to get the code of 1132, which I googled to be knock sensor #2 (although car feels like its running great!)

How difficult is this to replace? I think its in Adrians book but have yet to verify.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:12 PM
demonfish
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can do it with just the alternator out the way....
Old 01-12-2009, 12:03 AM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

^-- sounds right.

Knock sensors are obviously unbolted in this picture.
They bolt to those bars spanning the three cylinders on each side.

Old 01-12-2009, 12:42 AM
mjshira
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

hey, wait, that is my engine, no? ;-)

best way is to pull the alt. out. then its a matter of taking your time. you need a small torque wrench to set the torque on the bolt. Also, you need to replace the bolt per Porsche each time you change the sensor.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:04 AM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks.

Is it just the alt missing in the picture or have other components been removed?
Old 01-12-2009, 03:05 AM
dutchcrunch
Rennlist Member

Default alt removal

while your in there take a shop vac and suck out any trash you might see in there.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:02 AM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

It is also a god time to take a look at the base of the cylinders for oil leaks- do a general check of the area - and a chance to wash/clean out the whole area if you can - portable pressure washer or 409/cleaner and hose - or water in a pressure canister also works really well - the narrow nozzle allows you to get to the back cylinders - Just to make sure the air passage ways are clean on the cylinders.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:04 AM
yellowducman
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Before you change it you might want to check the connector. I had the same problem with mine and it turned out the plug wan't making a good connection. Took about 4 times of unpluging it and scraping, spraying contact cleaner and reconnecting it to get it to make a good connection. If it is on the left side of the engine, the connector is green and at the top of the motor, easy to get to. From what I read, these thing hardly ever go out. When it is not working though, the DME pulls alot of timing out.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:24 AM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by yellowducman
Before you change it you might want to check the connector.
Si. Si.
...it's not like knock sensors going ****-up has been a burning issue in 964 forum.
Old 02-21-2009, 04:09 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by yellowducman
Before you change it you might want to check the connector. I had the same problem with mine and it turned out the plug wan't making a good connection. Took about 4 times of unpluging it and scraping, spraying contact cleaner and reconnecting it to get it to make a good connection. If it is on the left side of the engine, the connector is green and at the top of the motor, easy to get to. From what I read, these thing hardly ever go out. When it is not working though, the DME pulls alot of timing out.
Anyone got a picture of this connector? Is it accessible without removing the alternator?

Light came on again but I don't want to remove alt without having a new sensor on hand to swap out (plus I am tired out and plain don't fancy it today, lol!)
Old 02-21-2009, 04:39 PM
Scotty964cab
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are no coincidences. After asking about my fault code 32 or knock sensor #2. I was encouraged to check the connectors.........guess what. My fauult code is corrected. I simply followed the advice and cleaned the green connectors. I'm happy for the outcome. Many thanks! I hope you can resolve your issue as quickly.
Old 02-21-2009, 05:11 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Scotty964cab
There are no coincidences. After asking about my fault code 32 or knock sensor #2. I was encouraged to check the connectors.........guess what. My fauult code is corrected. I simply followed the advice and cleaned the green connectors. I'm happy for the outcome. Many thanks! I hope you can resolve your issue as quickly.
Scotty, thats very good news!

Now I am very encouraged! Where are the connectors? Are they accessible without removing the alt? Can anyone provide a picture?
Old 02-21-2009, 05:31 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

The connector is easy to get to. See https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...orrection.html

After I had dropped my engine and replaced the clutch, I got the same error code. Removing and reconnecting the connector, cleared the fault.
Old 02-21-2009, 05:54 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks!!!

Is it the green one right on top of the engine? (there is another green connector down on the left)

My fault is for knock sensor #2. Is this connector the same?
Old 02-21-2009, 07:40 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

ITS FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had to drive over 40mpg for the light to go out but its out and its staying out!!

I am feeling so much love for you chaps right now!!! Thanks, I am now so happy that my christmas tree effect is all but fixed. I just have the airbag light to switch off now I've cleaned the AB sensors (can anyone lend me a scantool/hammer?!! )

Quick Reply: Knock Sensor (#2) how difficult to replace?