964 - leak down test

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 10:25 PM
aussie993gt-faux
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 964 - leak down test

Man oh man,

i'm having major trouble organising a leakdown test for the 964 engine I plan to put in my early 911.

The mechanics here (australia) are totally scared about doing the 3.6 into 911 and no one really wants to tackle it...and are quoting stupid prices to do so..... I contacted Patricks and was planning on buying one of their conversion kits to make the job easier with less custom fabrication needed.

I dont want to proceed with the install until I get a leak down test on the engine done sooooo:

is there a thread somewhere outlining how to do a leak down test and what equipment i need... Is this something i can do myself.. kind of like a wet/dry cylinder leakage test in a normal engine' which I have done before. Ive also stripped the exhaust manifolds and air intake off the car....is that ok or do I need them on.

I pressume i just turn the engine over by hand till the piston makes a seal in the cylinder (no valves open), fire compressed air in the cyclinder and make sure there is no leakage........? Is it worth running compression tests on these....? Can i do that by turning it over by hand? ill need an indication of some good/bad/average numbers.....stock 1994 964 from Japan.

Ive already taken the bait and committed to personally doing the 3.6 install myself so I may as well do the whole thing including the leakdown test...at least that way i know it will be not rushed and my save a few bucks to throw elsewhere on the car.

Ppl just want easy money these days...

cheers
Old 01-05-2009, 11:03 PM
aussie993gt-faux
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my main concern is how to heat the engine appropriately...any ideas?

The engine is sitting on a stand atm not ready to be installed and not plummed up for running.

Quick Reply: 964 - leak down test