Non starter

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 07:03 AM
fury964
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Non starter

Hi all

I'm new on here but some may recognise my user name from other forums.

I have a quick question. Over Chrimbo I hadn't used the car much apart from turning it round and putting it **** end first in the garage.

When I came to move it 2 days ago it was totally dead. I tried jump starting it but to no avail, it did however at least turn over. I tried bump starting it but again no joy. I tried changing the DME but also no joy.

It is now sitting in the garage with a very healthy battery and a new DME relay but all it does is turn over and not fire.

I will pop out on a while and get a spark plug to test for any sparks but I already think a know the answer to that. I would just like to know why it's not firing?

Any body got any ideas please.
Rob
Old 01-02-2009, 09:43 AM
velocitylover
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

DME relay !!
Old 01-02-2009, 09:44 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

I have a few ideas. Have you measured the voltage of the battery? It should be above 12 volts. And have you checked to see if you can hear the fuel pump running? Also check if you have spark?

Tell us more about the condition of the car. How often is it used? When was the last time it was serviced? Does the car have the factory alarm or is there an aftermarket one?
Old 01-02-2009, 10:04 AM
RaeB
7th Gear

Fury964 is under the car at the moment, so let me tell you more....
battery has been conditioned and charged to 14.4
car turns over freely
checked for spark, no spark found
car is fitted with after market porsche uk immobilisor (we haven't ruled this out)
car was used a week ago, battery ran flat and was disconnected and since that, nothing!

Thanks for your help guys.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:02 AM
Computamedic
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the battery went flat I'd bet there is a problem with the immobiliser. Try disconnecting the battery for a while (15 mins or so) and then re-connect. Do you manually dis-arm the immobiliser??

All sorts of other possibilities like the crank sensor but unlikely if it was running OK before.

Regards

Dave
Old 01-02-2009, 11:23 AM
RaeB
7th Gear

Cheers Dave

We think it's pointing to the immobiliser as well. The battery was removed to charge it, but hasn't been disconnected since we put it back in charged.

You have to manually dis-arm the immobiliser by slotting the 'key' into the unit just above the ignition.

I've sent Rob out to disconnect it on the 964 (whilst I'm in the warm with a nice cup of tea). I put a new battery on my 993 on Tuesday and that sorted out all my problems, poor Rob hasn't been quite so lucky.

Back soon with an update.

Rachel
Old 01-02-2009, 12:13 PM
RaeB
7th Gear

The battery disconnect/reconnect didn't work :-(

The immobiliser was not factory fitted, although it was fitted by Porsche on a 1990 car in the early 90's by the second owner. The helpful answer from OPC today was "I'd join the AA if I were you".

I would like to find out a way to do a master reset. We've tried putting the immobiliser key in for 30 secs to see if we can reset it this way, but it just beeps at the normal rate and the car does not start.

Rachel
Old 01-02-2009, 12:22 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just for grins , have you done the starter fluid test ?

If you do the starter fluid test and it shows that it is a spark problem ,
can you find the line that goes from the alarm to the computer and undo that ?
Old 01-02-2009, 01:46 PM
Computamedic
Three Wheelin'

If it's a Porsche fitted immobilser it's highly likely that it's a Hamilton & Palmer product. They have a really good reputation for support so if all else fails over the weekend I'd be inclined to give them a ring on Monday morning. Their web site is at www.hamilton-palmer.co.uk.

Regards

Dave
Old 01-02-2009, 04:48 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

For information, when my aftermarket immobiliser (Autowatch) is active the engine will not turnover. So in some cases an engine turning over but no spark is not necessarily an immobiliser issue.

Quick Reply: Non starter