Another odometer question

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 01:13 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Another odometer question

I just noticed today that my odometer isnt working. I have the OBC so I hadnt really noticed it until I checked my records to do the yearly oil change and found I had only gone 500 miles or so instead of the normal 1K
After a search I didnt find anything about the gear in the speedometer without a trip meter so was wondering if anybody else had fixed one of this type and if it was basically the same only with one gear? I figure I will call the gear place tomorrow.

thank
jim
Old 12-29-2008, 09:19 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Is your speedometer broken too? Or does it not work? If the speedometer is out too, then I would suspect your speed sensor on the transmission. If the speedo is working and the odo isn't, then the fault would be inside the speedometer gauge itself.

In my case, my speed sensor failed once and it would stop both the speedometer and the odometer. After my mechanic replaced the sensor, it fixed both.

Good luck on the repair.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:33 PM
Richard Curtis
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've replaced the odometer gear myself (fairly easy repair) about 3 years ago, but the odometer stopped working again several weeks ago (speedo still worked). Disassembled the gauge again suspecting that the gear had gone belly-up but, no, it was fine. I then shipped it off to North Hollywood Speedometer. They called with a repair estimate of ~$130, saying the "stepper motor" had gone bad. Didn't know what a stepper motor was but my wife said she had heard of them in her work. Speedo shipped back lickety-split, reinstalled and now everything works perfectly.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:44 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

speedo works. I was hoping some one with a TIP had fixed the gear. I have the gear selection lights in the speedo so am a bit hesitant to dig into it being its different. I talked to the gear guy and he said to take it apart and count the teeth.

UPDATE:I just took it apart per the instructions on P-car .com and it took only 15 minutes. The hardest part is taking the ring off. I am missing one tooth on the gear so I will be giving him a call tomorrow to get the new one. The TIP speedo is different inside but the parts you take off look the same.

Last edited by jimq; 01-04-2009 at 06:08 PM.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:26 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Got the gear and fixed the odometer. The insides of the TIP speedometer was a bit different then on P-car.com but actually had less parts to take off. It took 15 minutes to take it apart 2 minutes to put the gear in and another 15 minutes and it was back in the car. Mine had the standard 15 tooth gear also.
I really would like to give Jeff and Darren at Odometer Gears LTD a big thanks for extremely fast and friendly service.
Thanks guys
Old 01-26-2009, 06:16 PM
AB-Oz
Instructor

Just found this thread as my odometer has stopped working since the last refill of the gas tank (i reset the trip every tank).

just hope I can find a replacement gear if that is the problem...
Old 01-26-2009, 08:59 PM
Richard Curtis
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AB-Oz
Just found this thread as my odometer has stopped working since the last refill of the gas tank (i reset the trip every tank).

just hope I can find a replacement gear if that is the problem...
I assume you're worried that you won't be able to get the itty-bitty gear imported. Just ask the guys at http://odometergear.com/ to MAIL it to you in an envelope. It doesn't weigh anything and doesn't need much protection. Cost of an air-mail stamp.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:02 PM
AB-Oz
Instructor

Thanks Richard, I've found a mob here in Oz that does them, I just need to pop the speedo out and take it to bits to check the size of the gear - it may be diff to US spec?

[edit] 28/01/09:
Finally got the speedo out and into bits, and yes the little 15 tooth gear is discoloured and 2 teeth are worn/bent. Will report back when I've received the part and put it all back together.

Cheers
AB

Last edited by AB-Oz; 01-28-2009 at 05:42 AM.
Old 02-02-2009, 05:29 AM
AB-Oz
Instructor

Hi all,
Received the small 7mm 15tooth gear today, cost $46AUD including courier delivery. Supplier is Oz Odo gear supplier

Fitted it all up this evening and took it for a test drive up the locla highway that has distance markers. All is working and back to normal. I estimate I only lost about 300km all up.

Cheers
Adam
Old 06-21-2015, 06:30 PM
Serg924
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi friends!

I have a question about odometer. It doesn't work on very rare 964 turbo of my friend with 20000 miles on it. Speedometer is working good. I understand that its not a big problem to repair, but what to do if this car has low mileage and its really investment car at this days. How can I prove the real mileage of the car for the customers in case of sale?

Quick Reply: Another odometer question