Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear reflector/tailight tint: testimonial

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 08:32 PM
SAM DACOSTA
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gus, I sent you a PM to order a kit from you. Check your messages.
Old 08-08-2009, 02:57 AM
foxford
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gus,
PM sent.

Thanks,
-Bob
Old 08-10-2009, 12:33 AM
deoxford
Pro

PM Sent
Old 08-11-2009, 01:20 AM
user 783003
Banned

Just installed my film kit last night. It looks great. I was a bit concerned that it would look fake, but it doesn't. If you get up close (a couple of feet away), you can still see the crazing underneath, but I expected that and my car isn't about impressing people who are 2 feet away.

Sorry for the less than stellar after shots, but my digital camera is DOA after the before shots and the Crackberry doesn't work so well as a camera.

Was very easy and only had the one beer, as per the instructions. Did it with all the lights on the car.
Attached Images       

Last edited by user 783003; 08-11-2009 at 08:28 AM. Reason: Daylight after pictures added
Old 08-11-2009, 12:04 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 46 Posts

I did my other car as well finally:
Attached Images    
Old 08-11-2009, 03:20 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Gus, ditto (PM sent for Pay PAl order info). Looks like you'll get a lot of these!
Old 08-18-2009, 06:02 PM
amr89c4
Pro

Default Vinyl install results

I installed the vinyl kit provided by Gus. Gus, you da man! My lenses were very faded and had lots of crazing or cracking. The vinyl does a good job of refreshing their appearance. I'm not very artistic or patient, so in spite of those shortcomings I was extremely pleased with the results.

Now we can see how long the vinyl lasts. The car is garaged except going to and from tech inspections and the track weekends, so it won't be real world, but will be suitable for a baseline for a weekend car perhaps.

First three pics are before and the rest after. I took some shots of the embossed lettering also. You will see I don't make a living as a photographer, but you should get the general idea of how the vinyl overlay looks. The lenses look a lot better in person than they do in the photos.
Attached Images         
Old 08-18-2009, 06:22 PM
SAM DACOSTA
Racer

"amr89c4" the end product looks allot better. I received my kit last night when I got home from work. It will be part of my weekend projects for my Porsche 964. I will also post before and after pictures. How long did it actually take? I'm told it can be done in 30 minutes?
Old 08-18-2009, 06:39 PM
user 783003
Banned

30 minutes to an hour.

Lynn, your embossed letters turned out much better than mine did. How did you do that?
Old 08-18-2009, 06:45 PM
amr89c4
Pro

Sam: Well, it took me the better part of an hour, but I am slow AND old. Its actually not hard to do, it just requires a lot of patience. Use lots of the provided liquid to help the vinyl to slide around on the lens as you fit it.

The corners and edges are the places you have to have patience. Watch for air bubbles. They are fairly easy to squeegee out, but I managed to miss a few. I read that a fine needle ***** will allow the air to be purged. t worked for me, but I wonder if I now have a place for moisture to get in. Time will tell. All in all it was a 1 on a scale of 1-10 and the results were rewarding.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:54 PM
amr89c4
Pro

alfred: I used a fine needle right at the corners of the letters where air was trapped. I found that more often than not, one vent hole would allow purging of the entire area of letters. In others, I had to use multiple vents. Use a very small needle and just push through the vinyl so the vent hole is small. Note that there will be some lubricant moisture bleed out of the hole once you start sqeegeeing.

A big hole would be easier to vent, but I was trying to keep water intrusion to a minimum. I also went back over the areas where I made the vents with a heat gun in hopes of maybe re-fusing the vinyl or at least get a better seal in that area.

Gus may not approve of the pin hole vents, but it makes big difference in the final cosmetic results. Hope that helps.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:18 PM
92silver964
Racer

Mine just came today. Hope I can get 'er done this weekend. I really have not liked the pinkish fade, so I'm looking forward to the new look!
Old 08-19-2009, 12:10 AM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Glad you all are please with the product. The key is taking your time and not rushing as once you make a mistake and stick the vinyl to itself or the light lens in the wrong position, it can not be saved. Use plenty of the liquid "squish" on the plastic and on the vinyl - This is important because it gives you time, allows the vinyl to move freely to get the vinyl in the right position and check alignment - If you run out or think you are running low for the next section - mix your own in the spray bottle (5-8 drops of liquid soap and then file with water (slow). It is not the magic "Squish" but it will work. Use a hair dryer around the small raised letter areas and around the edges if you have trouble folding them over. On the edges make sure that most of the water is gone when fold the vinyl over the edge (warp over the edge from the front to the back). Here the little wooden stick with the flat edge works well to get in the tight spots - but works slowly and carefully. There is no problem in punching small pin holes to get the water or air out that has become trapped, but make sure you work the vinyl down good around the area. Once again I will point out the importance of having a chair and saving the beer until you are done - The chair gives you a place to sit as you admire your install job and you deserve the beer after the effort that you put forth. The jobs you have done look great. I have had my vinyl on for a bout a year and a half now and they still look good as new after I wash the car. Again thank you and I am please that you like the product - and that we have a solution to the PINK tail lights that has been an issue for all of us for some time.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:53 PM
SAM DACOSTA
Racer

I ordered my kit from Gus but have decided not to use it. I'm now concerned about the vinyl on the lens exterior. When I decided to order the kit, I thought it was an 'internal' application (I interpreted it wrong). The vinyl on the 'exterior' of the lens seems like I'm deteriorating the look of the Porsche and I prefer not to. My option is now to replace them with new lens. What an expensive solution.
Old 09-25-2009, 03:40 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SAM DACOSTA
I ordered my kit from Gus but have decided not to use it. I'm now concerned about the vinyl on the lens exterior. When I decided to order the kit, I thought it was an 'internal' application (I interpreted it wrong). The vinyl on the 'exterior' of the lens seems like I'm deteriorating the look of the Porsche and I prefer not to. My option is now to replace them with new lens. What an expensive solution.
you still may be a bit disappointed as they come a little faded pink brand new

Quick Reply: Rear reflector/tailight tint: testimonial