Sponsored by:

Please define PPI protocol

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 03:11 PM
mada1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please define PPI protocol

Who pays, when, and what if the PPI is negative?
Thanks.

BTW snowing hard in Portland right now.
Old 12-17-2008, 03:18 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Buyer pays, after negotiating a price for the car and walks away happy that they didn't purchase a money pit on failure or re-negotiates a discount based upon work-to-be-done.
Old 12-17-2008, 03:22 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Potential buyer pays, and sets it up with the shop if possible. Seller just has to get the thing there at the appointed time and place.

I did three of them, in all case I got the report directly from the shop and paid them directly. Even if the owner uses that shop, they are working for you at that moment. All three were negative and I had to break the bad news to the respective owners. Not really fun, kinda like not hiring an applicant AND telling them all their deficiencies.

One lady offered to pay for the PPI if it was negative, because she was so sure about the car - and then when it did come back negative, she was pissed and reneged. And this was the shop she regularly used. All of a sudden she was mad at everybody.
Old 12-17-2008, 03:24 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Buyer usually pays, although sometimes sellers complete a PPI before listing the car for sale.

My advice is to proceed with a PPI after the buyer and seller have agreed on a price and the buyer has given the seller a deposit. The price obviously is dependent on whether the car "passes" PPI. The deposit should be refunded by the seller if the car "fails" PPI.

Negative could mean a lot of things. If the technician inspecting the car suggests against purchasing it and you trust their opinion, then don't do it. If there are issues with the car that can be resolved (leaky valve covers, a bent wheel, etc.) then the buyer and seller can negotiate the price again based on those findings.
Old 12-18-2008, 05:26 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 506 Posts

Buyer pays and sets up the PPI appointment after a price is agreed "subject to satisfactory PPI". Best to search the local PCA websites to identify good independent shops and then cross-check here on rennlist. Seller is responsible for getting the car to the shop. Shop communicates results directly to the Buyer (as the contract is with him).
Old 12-18-2008, 06:25 PM
Crystal Cranks
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Frank, The 964 forum police approves of your new avatar

Quick Reply: Please define PPI protocol