Sponsored by:

Luggage compartment carpet

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 02:13 PM
Jeff PE
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Luggage compartment carpet

Two of the snaps that secure the luggage compartment carpet to the sheet metal have torn out of the carpet in my 1990 Carrera 4 (57,3xx miles). I can continue to drive the car this way, as the remaining snaps are sufficient prevent the carpet sagging. I may be able to have my upholsterer repair the existing carpet. I can buy a new carpet from several sources. The question is whether or not alternatives two or three will solve the problem or if the repaired or new carpet will fail again very quickly. Is this a common problem or simply one of old age?

I realize this is a minor matter, but any advice is nonetheless appreciated. Thanks.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:19 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

My carpet? -- I'd talk to the upholsterer about sewing on a very local, robust nylon reinforcing backing layer behind the original snaps' locations, install the replacement snaps through it, and be done.
Least cost, same worthiness, nearest originality... (of course, I talk big, having never tried this myself)

Is the existing carpet, otherwise, getting too ratty to contemplate throwing such efforts after it?
Old 12-08-2008, 05:30 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Common problem, well, at least for me and two other 964 that I have seen. I would follow Lonnie's suggestion.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:10 PM
Jeff PE
Advanced

Lonnie, except for the snaps that have torn out, the carpet looks brand new - no stains, tears, or worn areas; no damage to stitching or vinyl welting. Thanks for suggestion.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:12 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

no sweat.

(prof. engineer, or phys. ed.?)
Old 12-08-2008, 10:08 PM
DrewC2
Advanced

On a related topic (and not to hijack), my carpet has all of the snaps across the front of the trunk area nearest the bumper, but nothing to snap to...??? Where are the bases for the snaps supposed to be located and what are they attached to...the body???
Old 12-08-2008, 10:12 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

DrewC2, What year is your car? Mine is a 91 and the snap locations and fitments are different from the later model year cars. On the 93, for example, there is a flat plastic piece the runs across the front of the car with all of the snap bases attached. Perhaps you are missing that part?
Old 12-08-2008, 10:21 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dfinnegan
DrewC2, What year is your car? Mine is a 91 and the snap locations and fitments are different from the later model year cars. On the 93, for example, there is a flat plastic piece the runs across the front of the car with all of the snap bases attached. Perhaps you are missing that part?
Ditto, mine has that piece, doubt they ever changed that in this series. And yes, mine has a couple bases missing and several of the snaps pulled through.
To the OP: if you go the upholstery shop route, please post what they charged you and how it looks. Pleeeezz..???

Oh, and Lonnie, since the other thread is locked - Tessa wanted you to know, she really, really didn't mean to hang up on you - she just had other things to do:
Attached Images  
Old 12-08-2008, 10:21 PM
DrewC2
Advanced

Thanks DFinnegan. My C2 is a '90 model and if it came with a flat plastic piece with snap bases, then that is what I'm missing. Been trying to figure out what they attached the snap bases to and now I know... Probably will make sense on how this plastic piece is somehow attached to the body once I have the part in-hand.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:19 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

[speechless]
Old 12-09-2008, 12:31 AM
Porscheholic
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

More Tessa! Puhleeze!
Old 12-09-2008, 04:28 AM
RSGulp
Racer

Nice Pom Poms!
Old 12-09-2008, 05:42 AM
DavidI
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Drew, If it's the right side of the trunk as you're facing it, this is the part. http://dcauto.gotdns.com/illustration/index/850213183 The piece is no.29 in the diagram, part no. 96435510150. There are, I think, three screw threads coming out of the body that run through the holes in the plastic cover which is then held in place by three plastic nuts. Check to see if you have the plastic nuts - the cover will just about stay in place without them, but is held better with so you may want to get hold of a few.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:41 PM
Crystal Cranks
Racer

I heard that you loose up to 10HP for every snap your missing and if you are missing more than three you will need a top end rebuild.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:36 PM
Jeff PE
Advanced

Smile

All,

I found a very nice replacement carpet (black sliver knit with black binding and snaps) at http://www.appbiz.com/ for $137, including shipping to the U.S. East Coast. The replacement is as good (or better, in terms of reinforcement) than the old in all ways save one. That is, the front flaps (just behind the bumper "smile") are about two inches shorter than the original, and the driver's side therefore lacks the three snaps that attach to the plastic piece to which Drew and David refer. In my "thank you" to Bob at App Biz, I have offered to send him digital photos of this or to ship him my original liner in the event he wishes to make this change to his product, so it may be that future purchases will be fully better than the original. Bob was very helpful when I spoke with him before ordering.

Does anyone have good suggestions for a source of leather dye for the outside bolsters of my linen leather driver's seat?

Lonnie, since you asked, it's Professional Engineer. Further explaining my **** retentive behavior with this car, it's also Colonel, Retired. -

Jeff

Quick Reply: Luggage compartment carpet