Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

36 mm crowfoot flare socket needed (Garrett??)

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 09:46 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts
Default 36 mm crowfoot flare socket needed (Garrett??)

Garrett posted a pic in a long ago post. I have done a search. I need to move the line from the scavenging pump to the tank to get enough room to remove the PS pump belt housing. One place in the UK lists the exact tool, but I can't get their shopping cart to work. Snap-on, MAC, Sears, and a dozen other places I tried don't have it. Pelican has a wrench, but it will require a crowfoot to get where I need to go. I have found sets with open-end crowfoot sockets, but I really want the extra security of the 6-point or 12-point flare wrench.

Any ideas? I have ordered a 1 7/16" tool, but that will be big, and I am lothe to risk damaging expensive Porsche parts with improvised tools.

TIA.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:59 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

I have an open end set if you need to borrow it. PM me.

I purchased a set of crows foot wrenches (open end) last year. They are no name. I'll see if I can find who I purchased them from. If I can, I'll post it here.

Update: I found one company that sells a set of metric ones that large. See http://www.tooldiscounter.com/ItemDi...gle&kw=SNX9740

No affiliations.

Last edited by Rocket Rob; 12-02-2008 at 06:33 AM.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:10 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 598 Likes on 460 Posts

Which pipe are you trying to remove? If you're talking about the metal line that comes out of the bottom, passenger side of the engine, you should not undo it at the actual fittings - there is a small allen bolt that if you remove this, the entire line will just pull out of the engine case! There's no need to undo those fittings. Just undo this one allen bolt, give the pipe a pull out of the case (towards the passenger side rear wheel) and it will come out. There is an o-ring on the fitting that may need replacement - I've re-used it several times with no issues.

I just rebuilt my PS pump and so it's fresh in my mind... just undo that bolt; I wouldn't mess with the fittings that are likely frozen.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:11 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 598 Likes on 460 Posts

Or, just undo that allen bolt, and the line will rotate clockwise, giving you the clearance needed to remove the aluminum belt cover/PS pump mount.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:51 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Many thanks. This is a great site - I would never have found that behind all the exhaust and other stuff in the way. Here is the only workable lead on the crowfoot flare socket. The 440-36 is the tool that looks like the pic you posted. The 540 is the open-end version which I would not trust to turn a frozen aluminum nut:

Paul,
see the attached PDF for the crowfoot sockets
Stahlwille 440-36 $117.80
Stahlwille 540-36 $92.08

I was ready to order, so I owe you one.

Paul
Old 12-06-2008, 05:26 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Update:

There is an allen bolt right next to the oil line connection to the engine, but it holds some of the engine tin and does not release the oil line. Garrett: it is possible the 92 engine is different in that regard? I did literally have to break loose the 36 mm oil line nut to get the pipe out of the way. I took some pics, but for some reason Rennlist won't upload them.

I ordered the 36 mm crowfoot flare socket from Baum Tools and that did the trick. I have the Patrick Motor Sports (usual...) blank-off in place of the PS pump drive. It sure does clean up that part of the engine.

Just need to complete the valve adjustment, and then attack the PS rack up front.

Quick Reply: 36 mm crowfoot flare socket needed (Garrett??)