Sponsored by:

Bi-Xenon HID Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 05:19 AM
ianellison
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bi-Xenon HID Upgrade

I am thinking of fitting one of the upgrade kits and have been looking at HID4U.co.uk. There seem to be three brightness/power levels as well as colour choice. I probably prefer K6000 pure white light.

What is your experince of fitting and running this upgrade? I would also be interested to know which kit (bought in the UK) you fitted.

Have you got both low and high beam boost?
Old 12-01-2008, 07:10 AM
anto1150
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the kit installed on my C2 and I' m going back original... I prefer original lights.

They are K6000, low and high. If You' re interested... http://cgi.ebay.it/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=170283657511
Old 12-01-2008, 08:04 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

HID lights do not work well in halogen reflector housings. They are meant to be used only in projector housings. You will blind oncoming traffic and they will produce glare so you will actually have decreased visibility. I wouldn't use them.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:21 AM
Uber 911

Ian, I put some in mine a while back. Huge difference, its actually safe to drive in the dark now. Here's the thread. I used 6000k took about 2 hrs to fit but that included a lot of 'faffing'...
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...&highlight=hid
Old 12-03-2008, 02:12 AM
PCar SBA
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by anto1150
I had the kit installed on my C2 and I' m going back original... I prefer original lights.

They are K6000, low and high. If You' re interested... http://cgi.ebay.it/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=170283657511
looked at you eBay add - it's in Italian. How much would shipping to Germany be. And to understand - these would replace the regular H4 bulbs in a Porsche headlight, correct? I would put them into my 911 Targa that has H4's

Cheers, Ingo
Old 12-03-2008, 04:53 AM
anto1150
Pro

They were installed in place of my H4 bulbs, so they fit a 911 perfectly.

I think shipment would cost abuot € 15. Please contact through ebay
Old 12-03-2008, 04:57 AM
Christer
Race Car

Hi

I considered this for my GT3, but decided against it. Some of the indys that I spoke to say that a lot of the kits are of poor quality and if something goes wrong you may have to buy another kit etc...but others are happy with theirs....

I changed my headlight units to RHD and replaced dipped beam with H7 Ultrabright Phillips bulbs or whatever they are called. Makes a big difference in terms of what you can see, but they don't look quite as cool as Xenons/Litronics....
Old 12-03-2008, 09:18 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Christer
...Some of the indys that I spoke to say that a lot of the kits are of poor quality and if something goes wrong you may have to buy another kit etc...but others are happy with theirs...
I got mine from http://www.xenonexpert.com/ddm_hilo.html

They offer free lifetime replacement of any part that fails. (no interest, not affiliated, blah blah blah... just one satisfied customer. I have them on my bikes and now in the 964... )

HIDs installed... I went with 5000K... but should have done 6000K instead... still they look white, bright, and 100 times better than before... I had to check alignment of the lights to make sure those were aiming correctly.

Chet helped with the install since he had done this before in his 964. So that made it easy.

The ballast is very thin, so we were able to put it right next to the housing...

Routed the wires using existing holes... stock grommets used

Grommet still not in place...

My oh My that is a lot of wires... but everything had a plug... the only thing we had to do was to make one of the harness longer... nothing some wire, soldering gun, and heat shrink could not fix... sorry, no photos of that...

Ilko brings an interesting point on how these housings were built for a different type of bulb... but mine seem to be working fine and look and light the way a whole lot better than what I had before. I had tried all different light bulb options before I went with these.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:12 PM
vasculardoc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,

Is there anyone out there from Australia (South Australia) who has sourced these kits locally or has any experience with them ? I have a 90 C4 Cab that seems to have a couple of red hot nails stuck on the front of it to guide me to work at full steam in the middle of the night and it gives me the heebie geebies so am looking at a BiXenon upgrade pretty seriously.

Would love to hear from anyone local.

Mark
Old 12-14-2008, 10:45 PM
Turbohead
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

Here is how I mounted the ballasts .
Works well in H4s.
Elliot
Attached Images   
Old 12-14-2008, 11:09 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ilko
HID lights do not work well in halogen reflector housings. They are meant to be used only in projector housings.
You will blind oncoming traffic and they will produce glare so you will actually have decreased visibility. I wouldn't use them.
Incorrect ... HID lights can work exceptionally well in reflector housings if they have the correct cutoff shield and are aimed correctly.
Many OEM's produce reflector HID for Acura, MB, etc...

Quick Reply: Bi-Xenon HID Upgrade