Rear Blower Motor

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 11:31 PM
tgage
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guys,
Great thread! And a great find!

I yanked the rear blower out this afternoon as it had been making some noise. It turns out the fan was cracked, and I would suspect the motor bearing is not in great shape either given the cracked fan.

Do any of you have suggestions on finding a replacement fan (versus spending the $450 for the entire motor and fan with housing?) http://www.getcoolparts.com/searchit...0145&cookieID=

thanks,

tom
Old 12-27-2008, 01:21 AM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tom,
I think I may have still mine from when we put the SoK motor in my car. Let me do some digging up in the attic this weekend.
Old 12-27-2008, 10:51 PM
Peter 89 S2
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Blower Motor

Thanks Finnegan!

I read your post on replacing the motor and did mine last night. Perfect instructions that made my repair easy! My motor was toast and sounded so bad that I unplugged it until the parts came in from Performance Parts.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:28 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I've found a good pic of the rear blower and it's attachments. The pic is of the left hand side which is not visible when mounted in the car as it's down inside the left hand rear fender area. The back of the car is to the right.

The five white arrows are, starting from upper left and moving clock-wise, the mounting post in its rubber grommet, the electrical connection for the fan, the upper mounting bolt, the temp probe (remove the connection via the wire bale), the resistor (pull it or unplug it, but be sure to update it! **), and the lower mounting bolt.

** There is a TSB on replacing the resistor (89302 931221 Campaign - Rear Heater Blower Resistor Replacement).

New Fan Resistor part # 964 616 550 (02)
Old Fan Resistor part # last digits are (01)

Apparently the old resistor can be a fire hazard. It has been suggested that the resistor be held in place with a tie-wrap.
Attached Images  
Old 01-06-2009, 02:10 PM
cbwayo
Instructor

my heating / defroster fan stopped working. It had been making a lot of noise behind the dash over the past few months, but it was sort of off and on, and it still functioned so I never did anything about it.

Well, last week, it stopped working completely. I can feel heat coming out of the vents, but not with any velocity. Does this sound like I need a new rear blower? From what I've read, it would seem to me that the noise would have been coming from the engine compartment if thats where the fan is, but mine was definitely coming from behind the dash. Any thoughts?
Old 01-08-2009, 06:18 PM
cbwayo
Instructor

Went in the fuse box under the hood and saw my blower fuse was fried. Replaced it, and it works again.

Should have started with the simplest solution

Now begins the countdown for when it fries again on my drive home, and I'm back on this thread for more help.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:26 AM
cbwayo
Instructor

Bad news on my end. After replacing the fuse, the heater worked for about 3 days and then went again. I took the car in, not being a do-it-yourselfer, and the verdict is that I need a new front right blower motor (after paying $200 to diagnose the problem, and for my guy to do a temporary wiring fix so that the fan works while its below 0 degrees).

I had a litle water coming out of my vents a few months ago, and he thinks the moisture may have caused it to fail. Anyway, after paying the $200, my mechanic was all set to order a $500 replacement motor, and I stopped him, consulted the rennlist forums and various online sites, and ended up picking a brand new one up on ebay from the UK for $300. Now I can look forward to spending another hundred or so to get this thing installed. I hope I dont sound like I'm whining, but my just-out-of-college salary does not allow for $500-600 fixes every few months. Nor $150 oil changes, for that matter. Its a damn good thing these cars are so fun to drive... and so nice to look at.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:08 AM
stevepaa
Rennlist Member

just got my motor, thanks for the lead
Old 01-17-2009, 01:27 AM
stevepaa
Rennlist Member

cleaned up the fan and it is a nice green color
also the easiest fixture I used to hold the fan while I punched the motor out was a 1 qt size glass measuring cup, fits perfectly

Last edited by stevepaa; 03-04-2013 at 12:52 AM.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:43 AM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Steve, were there any balancing weights on your fan fins? I had two, as I recall. They are a simple crimp on type. I don't see any in your pic. Just curious.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:28 PM
stevepaa
Rennlist Member

Yes, there was one at 8 o'clock.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:44 PM
cbwayo
Instructor

I'm trying to source a rear blower motor. Firstly, is this the same thing as an "auxillary blower" (what my mechanic is calling it).

Second, is this it?:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...TQ:MOTORS:1123

Tried to get a part #, but the seller didn't have one.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:48 PM
Bluey964
Rennlist Member

Anyone know where you can find the BSH054573 Bosch fan in the UK rather than the full rear blower. Not sure I quite need it yet but figured I'd ask while this thread was current.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:51 PM
stevepaa
Rennlist Member

cbwayo yes that is it, but I just bought the motor, not the full assembly. I would suggest just buying the motor
http://www.vertexauto.com/ShowItem/1...or%20Only.aspx

get it for $140 and install yourself as above
Old 02-17-2009, 05:01 PM
cbwayo
Instructor

Originally Posted by stevepaa
cbwayo yes that is it, but I just bought the motor, not the full assembly. I would suggest just buying the motor
http://www.vertexauto.com/ShowItem/1...or%20Only.aspx

get it for $140 and install yourself as above
Yea, I was seeing that in some of the posts above. My mechanic has had a bunch of 964s, and said that he's actually fractured the assembly twice when trying to swap motors out, something about them getting warped, brittle over time. He recommended that I replace the entire assembly if possible.

Considering the $220 for the ebay assembly, I'm thinking the additional cost may be worth it if just to prevent the possibility of it happening. But this obviously hasn't been the experience of any rennlister... so I'm not sure. I definitely don't want to pay $140 for the motor, and then have to buy the full assembly afterward for $500.

Quick Reply: Rear Blower Motor