Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PIC REQUEST: PORSCHE 964 / BBS RIMS

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 12:33 AM
Porsche917K
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

I would say the wheels on the black car are a little more desirable IMO. They fit on multiple cars and look pretty good. They always seem to sell pretty quick when they are priced right. It all comes down to what look you really like. Also, it sounds like you have a pretty tight timeframe to find a set of wheels. If you can wait, I would do some more research on your options and find something you're really happy with. There's nothing worse than putting on your new wheels, taking a step back, and not liking what you see.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:47 AM
PorscheCarrera964
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Porsche917K
I would say the wheels on the black car are a little more desirable IMO. They fit on multiple cars and look pretty good. They always seem to sell pretty quick when they are priced right. It all comes down to what look you really like. Also, it sounds like you have a pretty tight timeframe to find a set of wheels. If you can wait, I would do some more research on your options and find something you're really happy with. There's nothing worse than putting on your new wheels, taking a step back, and not liking what you see.
agreed, but atleast with the LM's if I didnt like what I saw, I could sell them for more than I had into them ya know?

modifications are needed to fit 19s?
Old 11-26-2008, 12:57 AM
PorscheCarrera964
Pro

What about the RUF wheels???
Old 11-26-2008, 07:50 AM
mpeters951
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You may also want to consider Work Brombacher series wheels. The advantage, to me, was no cleared rim halves. I was very tired of worrying about the tire changing gorilla fecking up perfect wheels and pranging the cleared rim and now I don't have that particular issue. I also think that over 18" wheels on an air cooled 911 looks comprehensively cheezy.

Work wheels are available custom built in many offsets, sizes and center disc finishes; all for ~ $2300 for 8/9 x 17. The lead time is a bit lengthy but that was not an issue here. Admittedly not a forged wheel, but bloody strong non the less.

When in dialogue with the US importer of Work, AKH Trading, I'd felt that it was just about the best experience I've had buying any Porsche related kit, ever, period.

Here is a summary of the experience:

The shoes on my own car are from Work Wheels and are an incredible value provided you stay well clear of the drooling flat-liners at Wheel Enhancement (more apprppriately called "Profit Enhancement"). What I quickly discovered in searching to recreate the 964 Cup Car wheels from the early '90's is that Work's Brombacher series wheels very closely approximates those Cup car race wheels (let's assume BBS) I was after, AND that many businesses that cater to the rice-rocket crowd (no disrespect intended) can get any Work wheel under special order (thru Jim **** @ Work USA) that I wanted. The point here is that the business catering to the Gen Y Integra jockey needs to be a magnitude more price sensitive than does Profit Enhancement as they strive to power-vac the wallets of Porsche owners.

One other very important configuration issue, at least to me, was that the rim halves NOT be cleared. I don't want to have to **** around with the clearcoat failing as it always will eventually on any wheel. So Jim got me my set, as is really standard for Work's Brombacher series of Porsche wheels, without clear on the rim. Now if my wheels need to get the full detail, a little wax or metal polish and a few minutes later they look better than new without worry of nicking and touching-up a clearcoat.

And speaking of the brain dead idiots at Profit Enhancement, they specifically told me that finding a modular Work wheel for Porsche fitment w/o cleared rims was simply impossible. They went on to report that Work does not, and will not make a non-cleared wheel. One call to Jim **** - one the most helpful, accessible, considerate and professional motorheads I've yet had the distinct pleasure of interacting with - cured that little mystery.

BTW, I've no affiliation with Jim and/or Work whatsoever. Damn fine product, excellent value, outstanding service, very proactive comm's and follow thru. And did I mention outstanding service. Jim knows Porsche fitments. Realize that these are custom built wheels - to individual spec within reason. Does that take time from order to receipt, yeah it does. What Jim did was manage my timing expectation.

So, I created a sweetheart deal with Modacar.com (I'd previously done biz with them on a Type R racecar) on price, worked with Jim **** at Work USA, on perfect config for offset, and I got exactly what I was after - great wheels, real value. The end result is a perfect, flawless fit.

Last edited by mpeters951; 03-29-2011 at 09:55 AM.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:48 AM
PorscheCarrera964
Pro

If only I could get your wheels in 18". How lengthy is the wait time? Yourcar is beautiful
Old 11-26-2008, 12:06 PM
ginch
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 80 Posts

I also have Work Brombacher wheels however they are the 18" variety (18x8 and 18x10" respectively).

The wheels came with the car when I bough tit. If I would have had the choice I would have definately done silver centers vs. the black but oh well. My only beef with the brombachers however is the outside edge of the rim is almost folded back towards its self so everytime I was the car, water collects in the rims edge.

Other than that I too would recommend them!

Derek
Old 11-26-2008, 12:47 PM
MitchB
Burning Brakes

Location: Dallas, then Annapolis - now Laguna Beach CA. Well, not so fast - I'm back in Dallas. For good!

My opinion:
Be it 18, or even 19s - they don't look good until you lower the car. I think 19s could look OK (if not TOO blingy..) provided they were stuffed up in the fenders a bit - ala AP Design...

The key to fitment isn't wheel diameter, but TIRE diameter and width. Staying near stock tire diameter with 19s will leave you with little sidewall, and ride will suffer - particularly on a tired stock suspension.

If you are truly at $2600.00 and REALLY can't wait - get 'em. You can always re-sell if you find something you like more, when you have time to shop.

We'll probably laugh a little - but you must post pics
Old 11-26-2008, 01:10 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by mkd944
You may want to consider CCW. No affiliation. They have wheels in your price range, they are in Daytona which is close enough to Tampa that you may be able to pick them up in 2 days. Maybe other listers have had experience with CCW that they could share. Their website is here.
+1 . No affiliation either. But they are close enough that you can drive and see what they have...

Old 11-26-2008, 01:25 PM
mpeters951
Racer

As previously stated, Work Brombachers in 18" are not a problem. Here's the contact data for Jim @ Work Wheels. I think, from much discussion there, that they were in the process of choosing/redefining who would be the USA retail/consumer outlet for Work Porsche wheels as of ~ 3/07. Personally I stayed WAY clear of Wheel Enhancement.

Jim ****

WORK Wheels USA / AKH Trading Inc.

Tel: 714-968-7040/ Fax: 714-968-7050

AOL IM: WORK Wheels USA

If it were me again (I already own 2 sets) I would go back to Jim and spec the tech specifics of the order and then simply ask him who would/should "write up" the retail transaction. This being the case relative to Jim being the wholesaler/importer, not the retail channel.
Old 11-26-2008, 01:28 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by mpeters951
... Personally I stayed WAY clear of Wheel Enhancement...
Why? Everyone seem to talk great things about them.
Old 11-26-2008, 01:56 PM
mpeters951
Racer

Have a read of my experience just above. When I asked them very specific Q's about Work wheels being available w/o a cleared outer rim half, they responded unconditionally that such were not available. I think it was Dave (?) there IIRC. He struck me as a serious ********, and it turns out as I'd proved working with Jim ****, that he was full of **** on the question I posed. I refuse to suffer such fools gladly and was very pleased to take my business on Porsche Wheels elsewhere.
Old 11-26-2008, 02:18 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

This is what I had and they were not so expensive (2900$) and very light. John at CCW really knows his stuff. They also have a model called the classic and it's a mesh style like the BBS or the Brombacher.

Name:  12-06-2008136.jpg
Views: 1238
Size:  80.2 KB
Name:  DSC02701.jpg
Views: 661
Size:  52.3 KB
Old 11-26-2008, 03:07 PM
Porsche917K
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

That looks good! How do you guys set up such nice photos?!!!
Old 11-26-2008, 03:14 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

18 " CCW C14's- $2600
Attached Images  
Old 11-26-2008, 04:18 PM
WPOZZZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Another option, Work VSXX.

Name:  P1000993a.jpg