Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just disconnected my o2 sensor and bad idle now ok!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 01:15 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HAB5000
Have you ever read the codes ?
Hows your ignition system parts ?
Old 11-30-2008, 02:46 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gus
Question - Did you have your " Check Engine Light " come on after you unplugged the O2 sensor -??
Does it stay on all the time or does it go off and come on every now and then -??
As far as I am aware 964s for the UK and Europe were not fitted with CELs.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:22 PM
HAB5000
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Indycam
HAB5000
Have you ever read the codes ?
Hows your ignition system parts ?

I had my indy do a system test with the Bosch Hammer. Only fault codes were the heater. Good point about the ignition parts, though. It's on my to do list.

The idle problem seems to come and go. I've found that if the car stalls when it's idleing erratically, it'll generally keep stalling unless I gently ride the throttle. (especially in traffic)
Once the car is restarted it seems to idle ok for a bit, then the hunting starts and we're back to square one.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:18 AM
easttorks964cab
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

all,
i have the same idling problem and i have found this:
from cold the idle is spot-on. once the engine gets warm it starts to idle erratically. i cleaned the isv, no real result - isv works fine. i tightened all the hose clamps etc, still no result. so i disconnected the 02 sensor.....bingo! idle is perfect at all temperatures!.........now for the catch. i bought a new 02 sensor, tried to fit it and the old one was corroded into the cat convertor, it wouldnt budge. luckily i can get this cut out and a new thread welded in at my work....but some may not be that lucky!
from all that i have read about idling problems, the solutions usually fall at the 02 sensors feet! apparently they should be replaced every 2 years, but if they are so difficult to get out of the cat once corroded, i am guessing they rarely get replaced during a service!
from my experience i would reccomend you disconnect the sensor in the engine compartment (left hand sie as you look at the engine, the connector is clipped to the inside of the wing, the wire for the sensor comes through a hole in the wing around the wheel arch). i'm not sure what the long term effects of running without one connected would be but for a short-term test i'm sure its fine (i did a 300 mile trip with mine disconnected).
hope some of this helps

chris

Quick Reply: Just disconnected my o2 sensor and bad idle now ok!!