Sponsored by:

front camber alignment adjusters

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 11:31 PM
zaliah
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front camber alignment adjusters

I have a 91 Carrera 4. Is one of the bolts that attaches the bottom of the front strut to the wheel bearing carrier a special bolt? Both of the bolts on each side of the car appear to be the same. My mechanic says the front camber alignment adjusters are missing from the front struts. I haven't located any information on these adjusters. Thanks.
Old 11-19-2008, 01:05 AM
yellowducman
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The 964 doesn't come with special camber bolt to adjust camber like most cars. There is a tool that fits the head of the bolt that goes in the slotted hole in the strut to set the camber. I have done mine by having my alinement guy lossen the bolt while I push on the tire to set the camber. You can pick the tool up at pelican for a couple of dollars though and makes setting the camber much easier.

Another note, these cars really need to be done by someone who has done alot of Porsches. The seem to be really tricky to get right. I need to have mine done again and also corner weighted.
Old 11-19-2008, 07:37 AM
breale01
Racer

Strongly agree with yellowducman. I had mine aligned after purchase, even though the PO had just done it....the rears were set up right but the fronts were way off, particularly the camber.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:50 PM
zaliah
AutoX

Thats what I thought. He probably used it as an excuse to make more money. He told me it took him longer on the fronts because of the missing adjusters. Seems like he did a good job however, but I haven't pushed it hard yet to make sure.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:37 AM
dougn
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts

the caster adjustment has special bolts
Old 11-21-2008, 11:53 AM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Is there a caster adjustment on the front?? Ref camber adjsutment - I ordered the special nut taht fits over the top allen bolt head and allows you to adjust the camber by rotating the tool head- Carry it in my car so I always have it when I take it in for alignments - not all shops have this -

Quick Reply: front camber alignment adjusters