Sponsored by:

Finally a two-post lift for low ceiling garages

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 09:20 AM
jneteler
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by choinga
... the higher the car gets the more stress - but you could ease it up for a little better peace of mind I guess...
I am sure someone who is not quite so mechanically feeble minded as myself can explain how the loads change with height. I would have thought that once the lift has the car in the air the loads will not change with additional height. That is, unless the vertical posts actually aren't vertical.

JNeteler
Old 04-27-2009, 10:46 AM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

It's all about leverage.
Think of a see-saw . . . if you made one arm longer and longer it would require less and less weight to lift the other end.
As the lift is raised there is more and more load placed on the outside bolts holding the post in place.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:33 PM
jneteler
Racer

I see the words but I'll have to draw it out tomorrow. Getting late here.

JNeteler
Old 04-27-2009, 09:22 PM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

exactly. Think of it this way...with the car 4" off the ground the weight is more evenly distributed across all 5 of the bolts in the concrete. As you move the car up the lift the loads change. And sure, you have two vertical posts but that doesn't mean that as the car moves up the lift the load equalizes across all 5 bolts. The higher up the car goes the more that thing wants to pull itself out of the concrete.

Go find a relatively small tree outside that's 6 feet tall or so. Sturdy enough that you could attach a platform a few inches off the base and stand on it. The tree ain't gonna move much there - but as you keep moving it up eventually the tree is going to fall over because it can't support your weight the same higher up. It's the same principle with the maxjax. Just because there's 2 of them doesn't mean that the outside bolts aren't getting yanked on harder.

You could certainly test that theory with just one maxjax stand alone. You could leave it standing up with no bolts and raise the lift a few inches off the ground and stand on it. It's probably not going to fall over (well, it probably would with a 200lb adult...but if you found someone who equalized the weight instead...). While your standing on it - keep the lift moving up and see what happens...
Old 04-28-2009, 12:23 AM
jneteler
Racer

Never mind... I got it now. The height increases the moment arm about the pivot point (base plate).

I had confused myself by over thinking. (That's my story and I'm sticking to it).

JNeteler
Old 01-14-2010, 04:01 PM
TheoJ
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi,
I got myself such a MaxJax lift and I'm all exited about it. Perfect for my low ceiling garage. Works great, very stable, and very good service from the company. Highly recommended.
Theo
Old 01-14-2010, 04:54 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by TheoJ
Hi,
I got myself such a MaxJax lift and I'm all exited about it. Perfect for my low ceiling garage. Works great, very stable, and very good service from the company. Highly recommended.
Theo
Cool! Be sure to post a few photos when you get it installed.
Old 01-14-2010, 04:57 PM
roketman
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 93 Posts

So how nervous were you the 1st time using the lift ?
Old 01-14-2010, 05:00 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Talking

Originally Posted by roketman
So how nervous were you the 1st time using the lift ?
See my previous post in this thread... I was afraid to raise the 964 first... lol. So I started with the bike and then the 996TT... last test was with the 964, lol.

Outside of making sure that the bolts are tight and checking again once you have lifted and lowered a car (to make sure everything is seated correctly), there is nothing to it.

Also, it is great to be able to remove the two posts and store them out of the way when not in use.

Old 01-16-2010, 01:01 PM
TheoJ
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ok, I tell my story... I put the lift in myself.

Drilling the concrete was fine until at one bolt I hit iron in the concrete and had to use a dremel to get that out of the way. 2 hours later the drill went in fine. The floor was not very flat so I had to adjust with shims that were supplied and add a little extra myself.
When the lift was ready I raised the car 5 cm and kept it there for a few hours. Lowered it and checked the bolts again. The anchors had moved a litte to settle, which is ok per design. I did this a few times until they were firmly seated.
And when I was absolutely sure there was no more movement I started to wiggle the car on the lift. Just a bit above ground. So nothing dramatic can happen. All ok. Very VERY stable lift I must say.

Next was an endurance test. I lifted the car about 10 cm (wheels) above floor level and kept it there for 15 mins, 1 hour, 1 day, 3 days. Lifted again and again. Perfect every bit of the way. Next phase is a bit higher, 30cm. And so on.

I'm now 99.9% comfortable that it is very stable and reliably fixed. I lift it even at its max height in my garage (not full as the ceiling is too low, even for my low height 928) and work a little underneath. I am still aiming for those last 0.1% and keeping the car on the lift some more time just to make sure it holds. There is no way to see what reserve the floor mounting has, other than to wiggle the car and keep the load on. Every test was performed with outstanding results. Even with a 1650 kg 928gts on it.

This lift is just outstanding and the best that you can buy if tyou want a two-post lift and have low ceiling. I considered every other option and am happy that this is what I bought.

Ok, you need pictures., I understand.
Attached Images  

Last edited by TheoJ; 01-22-2010 at 06:41 AM.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:24 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Cool

Very cool!

Originally Posted by TheoJ
ok, I tell my story... I put the lift in myself.

Drilling the concrete was fine until at one bolt I hit iron in the concrete and had to use a dremel to get that out of the way. 2 hours later the drill went in fine. The floor was not very flat so I had to adjust with shims that were supplied and add a little extra myself.
When the lift was ready I raised the car 5 cm and kept it there for a few hours. Lowered it and checked the bolts again. The anchors had moved a litte to settle, which is ok per design. I did this a few times until they were firmly seated.
And when I was absolutely sure there was no more movement I started to wiggle the car on the lift. Just a bit above ground. So nothing dramatic can happen. All ok. Very VERY stable lift I must say.

Next was an endurance test. I lifted the car about 10 cm (wheels) above floor level and kept it there for 15 mins, 1 hour, 1 day, 3 days. Lifted again and again. Perfect every bit of the way. Next phase is a bit higher, 30cm. And so on.

I'm now 99.9% comfortable that it is very stable and reliably fixed. I lift it even at its max height in my garage (not full as the ceiling is too low, even for my low height 928) and work a little underneath. I am still aiming for those last 0.1% and keeping the car on the lift some more time just to make sure it holds. There is no way to see what reserve the floor mounting has, other than to wiggle the car and keep the load on. Every test was performed with outstanding results. Even with a 1650 kg 928gts on it.

This lift is just outstanding and the best that you can buy if tyou want a two-post lift and have low ceiling. I considered every other option and am happy that this is what I bought.

Ok, you need pictures., I understand.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:25 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Now you guys know how behind I am on reading the threads... Jan 22, 2010!!!

Sorry to revive such an old thread.. my mistake... I read 2011 not 2010... in the words of a famous philosopher, DUH!!
Old 01-23-2011, 01:29 PM
PNine64
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Wachuko
Now you guys know how behind I am on reading the threads... Jan 22, 2010!!!

Sorry to revive such an old thread.. my mistake... I read 2011 not 2010... in the words of a famous philosopher, DUH!!
It's all good Jaime. I have no idea what happened to 2010 either.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:44 PM
campoj2
Racer

I have 9'4" floor to ceiling, is there a better lift out there or is this ideal for my configuration?

Quick Reply: Finally a two-post lift for low ceiling garages