Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick appraisal with limited info.

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 05:23 PM
MrSwede
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick appraisal with limited info.

I know that the information I have is very limited but please do the best you can with it to help a newbie out.

A friend has a 1990 Carrera 2 Coupe with 60K. This milage is consistent with the Carfax and two owner history. It was left abandoned in his storage unit where it sat for about seven years. Hence, he is in the process of getting a new title.

The body and interior is in good shape but it has no radio, tools or paperwork.

It needs new keys for ignition and wheels. Tires need to be replaced.

All electrical and A/C is working.

It leaks oil (which is not a surprise) though the engine appears to run very strong and tight. I am not sure what a common leak would be for a car in this context or what it would cost to fix it?

He is asking 15K "as is" but said that he would consider any offer. Should I consider the car or just "move along"?

Any input would be appreciated.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:11 PM
Colin 90 C2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

as long as you get a valid title, it may be a go.

I would warm it up and take it out for a drive to see how much oil is leaking.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:31 PM
DanielT
Instructor

how close is your "friend". Do you trust him?
was it his car, or did someone else leave it in his storage?

if you can get a title.......I would offer $13K
Old 11-11-2008, 09:50 PM
WPOZZZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

If the car needs new keys, how would he know if the ac and electrical is okay? I'd say $10k as you may need new calipers and ABS pump and whatever else.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:56 PM
MrSwede
Intermediate

Thanks for the replies.

We are not super close, but an honest guy none the less; however, he is even more ignorant than I regarding Porsche, and I am pretty ignorant.

It was not his car. Someone left it in his storage for many years and is now in jail (and did not bother to pay the bill), so legally it is his car even though he never actually drove it himself.

My biggest concern is the oil leak. I can't really tell where it is coming from and it does smoke like Castro on crack when started (even though the engine sounds very good).

His reasoning is that he has seen similar cars in good running condition on the Internet selling for $17-18K. He called a Porsche dealer who said that they could probaly fix the oil leak for $1500 (sight unseen!). To me, that sound like a nice pipe-dream since I have heard that oil leaks can easily run $5K with labor. But again, I am super-ignorant.

I am between a rock and a hard place. It is a looker with the color combination that a love (silver/red), but I also know that it can be a potential money-pit-nightmare if it was not cared for correctly and the seal(s) corroded as it sat in storage. I have read that the 90's model might have problems that were later corrected, but again, I am not sure what I am looking for/at?

Its like the old image of the Devil on one shoulder and an angel on the other, I am not sure which one to listen to--I wish one of them were a P-car expert guiding my conflicting soul to the right decision.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:01 PM
MrSwede
Intermediate

Originally Posted by WPOZZZ
If the car needs new keys, how would he know if the ac and electrical is okay? I'd say $10k as you may need new calipers and ABS pump and whatever else.
Thanks for the reply. He did get it started by removing the dash and perhaps making a key? Can't remember but the key was not from Porsche but we did have it running. Again, my information is super-crappy, I know.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:15 PM
68CGPlt
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This could be a great find or it could be an expensive nightmare. The fact that the car has been neglected for all these years really leaves its mechancal condition as a true crap-shoot. It may take a few miles or weeks/months of ownership to uncover some of its gremlins, as deteriorated seals/bearings and other items on the car decided to fail or function. If I were in your shoes I would have the car brought to a respectable shop for a thorough evalution. Money spent now for an expert opinion of the car could and will probably save you from spending large sums of money to get the car right. Having a rundown of what the car needs will also give you solid supporting data with which to broker a reasonable sale price.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:16 AM
meek
Burning Brakes

Keen to see if you buy it, as I was beginning to think I had the only silver/red 964 in the world. Would love to see some pics. Having said that, buy with your head, and heed the advice above. PS great avatar of a great GP driver.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:41 AM
DavidI
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My 2c: You can spend a bit of time and money getting a good PPI and then you'll probably avoid unexpected and unwanted nasty surprises, but also probably avoid a potential great deal as you'll both be able to put an accurate figure on what the car is worth.

If you fancy the task of making the car great again, offer him $10k and assume worst way you're going to spend another $15k on locks, engine and sundries. For $25k or less you'll end up with a nice car, or perhaps a great car. Worst way you could spend $20k on locks, engine, air-con and sundries and end up with a perfect car for $30k. Sounds like a good gamble to me, but you have to want to take on the project!

Quick Reply: Quick appraisal with limited info.