Sponsored by:

964 Cylinder leaks

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 05:07 PM
demonfish
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ABQ - same problem here.

I have replaced exactly what you have replaced and still i get a leak.

I think its either rocker shafts, or the cam to head seal... or maybe the camshaft seal.

The car is being steam cleaned to see if we can see where it starts. On my track photos i get a puff of blue smoke from under the car on a right hand bend, so maybe an oil tube, i just dont know.

I really dont want to tear down a good engine, so a bit of hardship now to find it, may save a HUGE expense.
Old 02-22-2009, 09:41 PM
dougn
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts

power steering pump pulley will leak like a sieve
Old 02-22-2009, 09:45 PM
demonfish
Burning Brakes

wrong side for me sadly...
Old 02-23-2009, 09:09 AM
ABQ Slim
Instructor

J richard, the drip on the floor is consistently in the same place - right in the middle. It drips off the ridge on the center of the case where the case halves join. But we've determined this is not the leak. The leak is coming, in fact, from two of the three cylinders on the left side where they mate with the head. The right side is OK. It does not get worse after sitting for awhile. I do not get any flutter sounds from the exhaust - it sounds fine and pulls fine, like it always has.

Demonfish, I'd be very interested in the results of your steam clean. I, too, would like something simple to go after rather than "the big one." Please let me know how it turns out.

Thanks for your replies. Anyone else had to do the head machining? Any one thought they had to do the head machining, then it turned out to be something else?

Quick Reply: 964 Cylinder leaks