Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Look what was attached to my transmission drain plug... any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 03:58 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by jimq
I think my doctor used one of those on me not to long ago
I hope he cleaned it well afterwards....
Old 11-08-2008, 11:44 AM
Fred's 964
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jaime, I would hope he cleaned it well before......
Old 06-11-2012, 04:02 AM
anto1150
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by james944
Hi guys,

I need a little help figuring out what's with my transmission. It's never given my any problems. Drives and shifts fine, but the car was in for a valve adjustment / tune up this week and when my mechanic removed the drain plug to change the gear oil the part below was attached to the magnet. It's a 5 x 14 mm steel cylinder with rounded edges. From looking at the PET it may be a shifting detent, but measurements for these are not listed so that's really a blind guess. Anyone familiar with the G50 know what it is or how it could have come loose without tearing up the transmission?

Thanks,
James
James,

How is your car going? I think I'm in the same situation and I don't know whether to take it to the shop or just keep driving the car pretending I never saw it.

Ciao
Old 06-11-2012, 11:43 AM
993James993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by anto1150
James,

How is your car going? I think I'm in the same situation and I don't know whether to take it to the shop or just keep driving the car pretending I never saw it.

Ciao
Hi Anto,

I just sent you a PM before I saw that you had posted here. My son bought this car in January, 2008 and over the past 4 years has done multiple DE and track events.

There was no other debris in the old gear oil and the car drove well. We concluded that the pin could have been there for years. After agonizing about the repair we finally decided to drive it and pay close attention to the shifting and any new sounds that the car might make. Three years and 15K miles have passed and we never had this repaired, nor noticed any issues.

Obviously pulling the transmission and repairing it would be the best solution, but given the costs involved we decided to wait. So far we have been fortunate. I have used this car as my daily driver for the past six months as my son is away for work. The car drives well.

Good luck!
Old 06-11-2012, 01:30 PM
anto1150
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

James,

your answer is a great relief

I think I'll do the same as you did, and drive the car as I did before. Obviously, especially at first times, I'll keep my ear particularly concentrated to what the gearbox says...

Thank you very much
Anto

Quick Reply: Look what was attached to my transmission drain plug... any ideas?