Sponsored by:

Chain tensioner question

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 08:31 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts
Default Chain tensioner question

This is the chain tensioner cover on the top of the motor/ driver side . Can you get to this without taking out the distributor? Maybe just take the distributor cap off? Thoughts?

Name:  photo457.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  880.8 KB
Old 09-30-2018, 02:46 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

Doesn’t hurt to try taking the distributor cap off. If not pull the distributor
Old 09-30-2018, 04:38 PM
Richard H
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have removed mine without taking the distributor out. I did all the gaskets with the engine still in the car as described in RicardoD's excellent post. Didn't need to loosen the distributor either.
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...o-rings-2.html
Old 09-30-2018, 06:00 PM
cjoenck
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

I just did this to change the gasket. Yes, you can leave the distributor in place, I didn't even take the distributor cap off. However, the chain tensioner is under spring load so you need someone holding down the tensioner cap when you put the two nuts back on. Otherwise you will have to hold down the cap with one hand while using the other to put two washers and nuts back on. My hands were too big so I used a wooden rod held by my sous mechanic (my wife) to hold the cap in place while if put the two bolts back on.

I sounds more complicated than it actually is. Once you are in there it is all very obvious.
Old 09-30-2018, 07:50 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Yeah. I'm just trying to get an idea of how much time I'll need to allocate to the job. I'll pull the dist cap and take it from there...shouldn't be too much time in the end
Old 10-01-2018, 08:43 AM
cjoenck
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

15 minutes max and that includes cleaning the tensioner cap / prep for new seal. The actual tensioners are different on the left and right side and which is up was engraved on mine - but you knew that.
Old 10-01-2018, 09:23 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Yep. I'm hoping the internal seals are ok and the Tensioners don't have to be replaced. I have a chain rattle on cold start. So I'm assuming cleaning them out will do the trick.

Otherwise I'll be buying new Tensioners next time around.
Old 10-01-2018, 09:26 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

My cabrio had developed a chain rattle when starting cold. I was starting to think about replacing the tensioners when I noticed that one of the exhaust clamps was missing its bolt. I replace it and my "chain" noise went away.
Old 10-01-2018, 09:35 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Really? That's interesting. Makes sense. I don't think mine is external. But I'll give it all a good look when I'm in there. I had meant to do this job this weekend, but i had to swap out the pillows in my Wevo mounts, and fix the camber issue on my KW (step down washers did the trick), and then alignment after, which took a loooooong time, since I'm using cheep hub stands, which don't allow enough movement - just enough to get it right enough, and then lots of tweaking with the car on its own wheels to dial it in...

Wevo mounts

Name:  photo322.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  1.21 MB

Name:  photo926.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  1,015.8 KB

String setup for alignment

Name:  photo814.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  1.06 MB
Old 10-01-2018, 02:56 PM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 140 Posts

Hey Goughary,

Nice alignment set-up. I know this is a chain tensioner thread but like to see more about the wheel holder mounts and how they work.
Old 10-01-2018, 04:17 PM
Goughary
Race Car

These are the guys that make the hub stands.

https://928motorsports.com/parts/wheel_hub_stands.php

They are incredibly useful. I'm going to make slip plates that allow for better movement underneath. As you can see I'm using the plastic bag trick for turn plates, which works pretty well, but the camber is a little tough past a certain point. These are fine and fairly accurate under 1 degree. But once the car is on its wheels, it's a good idea to tweak as needed.

I use smart strings and a smart racing camber gauge....strings are very effective if used properly and the smart strings racks are awesome. I leave them set to the right lengths to toss onto the front and rear of a 911...and then adjust the cross bars and height as needed to tweak the setup to square it. And then...a flat aluminum stock with markings for the 17"wheels to measure from :

Name:  photo604.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  1.03 MB
Old 10-01-2018, 04:23 PM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Ahhh, I was wondering how you accomodate wheel size, I see the flat bar and marker, effective.
Old 10-01-2018, 05:23 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Alignment is a very simple thing. When you are basically just doing toe and camber on a street car.

In a race setting relative to temperature, weather and track conditions, tire pressures, what track you are at, spring rates, sway bars, strut settings etc....can get extremely complicated.

But for us, for street and occasional fast track driving, it's very basic. Max the caster, set the toe, set the camber, and get on w it. What you set it at...like i said, can be complicated...but if you have the basics, and make basic street setting choices...super simple.

And in that, it fascinates me that the shops around me charge 500+ to do an alignment. So for anyone that is going to do an alignment or tweak an alignment here and there...the tools pay for themselves on the first shot. No brainer. And if you don't want to think, you just use the shop manual and set the specs to what's in the manual. Done.

Oh, and you need to be able to comprehend 10th grade math...Mrs Buckalter would be proud of me...

Old 10-01-2018, 05:46 PM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Smile

Originally Posted by Goughary
Alignment is a very simple thing. When you are basically just doing toe and camber on a street car.

In a race setting relative to temperature, weather and track conditions, tire pressures, what track you are at, spring rates, sway bars, strut settings etc....can get extremely complicated.

But for us, for street and occasional fast track driving, it's very basic. Max the caster, set the toe, set the camber, and get on w it. What you set it at...like i said, can be complicated...but if you have the basics, and make basic street setting choices...super simple.

And in that, it fascinates me that the shops around me charge 500+ to do an alignment. So for anyone that is going to do an alignment or tweak an alignment here and there...the tools pay for themselves on the first shot. No brainer. And if you don't want to think, you just use the shop manual and set the specs to what's in the manual. Done.

Oh, and you need to be able to comprehend 10th grade math...Mrs Buckalter would be proud of me...

Yep I am doing my own alignments, and agree it is a rip off in most cases. Ha, 10thgrade math, I got my engineering son to produce a table for string distance to rim edge and angles.
Old 10-01-2018, 07:52 PM
Peteinjp
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 141 Posts

Those hub stands are great. Definitely going to get a set. How do you check for level with them pre alignment?

pete

Quick Reply: Chain tensioner question