964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help! red "!" came on at highway speed and oil res. says full

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 12:43 PM
MitchB
Burning Brakes

Location: Dallas, then Annapolis - now Laguna Beach CA. Well, not so fast - I'm back in Dallas. For good!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One other possible indicator of oil correctly pumping between tank and engine is the "gurgling" sound on cold startup. Not a do or die - but may provide a data point...
Old 10-24-2008, 03:14 PM
Flashtv
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmm also good point...i always hear the gurgle on cold starts, just went out and did check, on key turn all lights seem to be lit that should, so then started it ad ran till warm enough that the sump level began to read to the top, oil pressure good too, then ran the revs up a bit and sump level drops, as it should, then removed hand brake to make sure "!" went away and it did, only things lit were spoiler and airbag, which normaly go off once I begin to drive so maybe a short drive is next?
Old 10-24-2008, 05:33 PM
MitchB
Burning Brakes

Location: Dallas, then Annapolis - now Laguna Beach CA. Well, not so fast - I'm back in Dallas. For good!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have corect oil pressure, and oil level on the dipstick is w/in spec when fully warm - I'd drive it to test it.
Old 10-25-2008, 10:57 AM
user 783003
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm new here, have had my 91 C2 cab for 9 days. Something perked my interest here. The comment about knowing how to read the guages. Is there a write up on what all three guages are supposed to look like at different times (startup, idle, at speed, etc.)?

Also, it should be a requirement of the seller to explain what that big red ! does. It scared the hell out of me when I ran low on gas the other day.

Quick Reply: help! red "!" came on at highway speed and oil res. says full