Sponsored by:

Did I just put in too much oil?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 12:22 PM
jsrieck
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did I just put in too much oil?

So I have had the car for 12 hours and I think I've already screwed up!

I drove around for maybe 15 min this morning (outside temp maybe 75-80) and then went to the gas station. Let it idle a bit while I read the manual and then checked the oil. Just a little bit of oil at the very bottom of the stick, below the lower mark. Manual says roughly 2qts between the marks, so I poured two quarts in and then filled the car up with gas. Turned the car back on, let it idle a bit, and the oil is still below the lower mark!

Poked around on this board and the internet, and I am now thinking that I didn't let the motor get hot enough.

So, how do I know when the motor is hot enough? And, what do I do if I have too much oil in the car?

Thanks!
Old 10-22-2008, 12:37 PM
Uber 911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The most reliable method is to place your hand on the passenger side front wing where the bonnet meets it. If its warm then the oil is up to temp because the thermostat has opened to the front oil cooler, if not leave it till it does.

If you've over filled it you'll need to drain off the excess by removing the sump plug, or 'suck' it out of the tank.

Last edited by Uber 911; 09-07-2009 at 03:21 PM.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:38 PM
Flashtv
Advanced

Hi and welcome to a very helpfull board! been good for me too!
My understanding is exactly what you've said, in that you check it once the car is warm and the engine is running at idle, all of which you say, make sure the car is sitting on level ground too. Not sure what the problem would be, unless you really are that low? any idea when the last oil change was and how much and what type used?
good luck, i have to post a oil sensor prob of my own.
GG
Old 10-22-2008, 01:19 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by jsrieck
So I have had the car for 12 hours and I think I've already screwed up!

I drove around for maybe 15 min this morning (outside temp maybe 75-80) and then went to the gas station. Let it idle a bit while I read the manual and then checked the oil. Just a little bit of oil at the very bottom of the stick, below the lower mark. Manual says roughly 2qts between the marks, so I poured two quarts in and then filled the car up with gas. Turned the car back on, let it idle a bit, and the oil is still below the lower mark!

Poked around on this board and the internet, and I am now thinking that I didn't let the motor get hot enough.

So, how do I know when the motor is hot enough? And, what do I do if I have too much oil in the car?

Thanks!

I think most of us have been there .

Car needs to be at operating temperature (and you achieve this by driving the car, not letting it sit idle), level surface, and use the rod in the engine compartment to measure.
Old 10-22-2008, 02:37 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

How old is the oil that was in the car ?
Old 10-22-2008, 03:24 PM
Computamedic
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The way I see it is that you drive the car until you start to see the oil temperature gauge begin to move. As it slowly moves up it should normally gradually get to the second mark on the guage and then, often quite suddenly, the gauge will drop down to somewhere between the first two marks. THAT is the point where the thermostat opens and the oil flow is redirected to the oil cooler. At that point the return flow from the cooler is fed to the tank where the level is measured. If working corectly, as most do, the oil level gauge is also valid at this time with the engine idling on level ground.

Once you have confirmed the correlation between dipstick and level gauge you can judge the oil level every time you come to a stop light.

Bear in mind that oil expands considerably as it gets hotter so you want to avoid filling the oil to the max level if you are planning (or likely) to be getting the oil really hot - else you'll run the risk of overflow and contamination of the inlet tract and the idle valve.

If you DO overfill it's easiest and safest to wait for the engine to cool and drain a little from the engine crankcase - NOT the tank. There is relatively little left in the crankcase so you have more control. The oil tank holds a LOT of oil and you'll land up with (a) a mess and (b) too much let out.

Hope that helps.

Dave
Old 10-22-2008, 03:31 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

It is also important not to shut off the engine before checking. Drive until the oil is warm, and then let it idle for a minute or so. Some oil drains from the tank to the engine during shut down. Poor design, but if your oil level gage is working correctly, it will point in the red zone most of the time your are driving. The in-dash oil level gage is accurate only if the oil is warm, and the engine has been idling long enough for the scavenging pump to get the oil out of the engine and back into the tank. On my early 911, the oil level gage was wide-range, and you could watch the oil pump back into the tank. The 964 gage full range is barely 2 quarts, and most of that moves to the engine during driving.
Old 10-22-2008, 03:32 PM
jsrieck
Intermediate

Thanks for your thoughts.

The oil in the car is 5,000 miles old, according to last oil change record. I believe the actual age is 6 months old.

I am planning on getting a 15K service done this weekend, so I will just take it easy until then.
Old 10-22-2008, 04:26 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

js-
Your rennie bill for this stellar advice, above, is:
  1. you've gotta post a picture of your car. (Pre-sale pics will do, of course.)
  2. a little backstory on the car and its purchase.

-- all due at your best convenience and circumstances, of course.
Old 10-22-2008, 04:28 PM
Richard Curtis
Rennlist Member

I'd advise not trying to drain any excess oil by removing the sump plug or the oil tank plug (it's difficult to control the flow, and incredibly messy). Instead, invest $3 in a turkey baster and remove the excess through the oil filler tube.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:51 PM
DogInBlack
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't sweat it. Half of all 911 owners have worried about not enough or too much oil along the way. Enjoy your new toy!

Oh yeah, what elbeeee964 said
Old 10-22-2008, 07:25 PM
jim_l
Instructor

i overfilled mine and just drove/smoked it off is your oil level gauge working ?
Old 10-22-2008, 08:36 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Good 5000 miles , time for an oil change .
Learn to do it yourself from the get go .
You will be well paid to do it yourself .
Old 10-22-2008, 08:39 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

And then the question is ,
what oil are you going to run ?
What filter ?
Old 10-22-2008, 09:34 PM
jsrieck
Intermediate

its poring down rain, so the pictures are delayed, but thanks for the tips.

The previous owner has run castrol gtx since at least the late-90's, as that is what is stamped in the manual.

I know a lot of folks use synthetic, though I have read that it can be better to just keep using what the car has been happy with....any thoughts on that matter?

While I want to change the oil myself, the car needs a 15K as well and as it has been driven little in the past 6 months it probably wouldn't hurt to have a good shop do the 15k and also give the car a good once over.

I like to tinker with stuff, but I think I better just do a little at a time.

Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: Did I just put in too much oil?