Footprint for under-seat amp

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 12:15 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Footprint for under-seat amp

Hey all,
I was hoping someone had this measurement handy so that I don't have to pull the seat out before shopping for one. I have 4-way power on the passenger seat, not sure if that cuts down the space. I just want to know the physical space that I have to work with.

My CDR-220 is great, but it's running through that awful factory amp. There must be something I can put in there that has at least the same capacity as the head unit

Specific under-seat amp recommendations are welcome too!

Cheers,
nick

ps- in the spirit of exchange, here are the measurements for the stock door panel speaker area for a cab: 3.75" deep, 5.5" diam (for the door card, not the metal)
Old 10-10-2008, 02:26 PM
CabrioArtie
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

I just replaced my HU with a CDR-220 too and I was looking into what Amps would fit in the factory location. The smallest Amp I could find is the Blaupunkt THA 475. I haven't taken the passenger seat out yet, but I may this weekend. I am hoping to turn the Spoiler Controller to have enough room for this Blaupunkt amp.

I am also looking to replace the speakers the PO put in. I was wondering if anyone knows what restricts the size of the rear speaker in a Cabrio? Is it the depth of the speaker or the diameter of the magnet?

Anyways, approximate measurement of the factory Amp is 4.5x7x1.5. This is by no means exact as I did a quick measurement with the seat in place. A new Amp could be larger than this as the DIN connector to the factory Amp takes up a lot of space and with a new Amp it could be eliminated.

See here for a picture of what it looks like under the seat.

https://rennlist.com/forums/attachme...2895&d=1202384
Old 10-10-2008, 04:11 PM
Pesty
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the THA 475 is 285 x 41 x 159 mm

so thats quite a bit bigger than stock.

be very interested in how you get on. I would like to fit a 4 channel amp under the seat. just for ease as power and speaker cables already there.
Old 10-10-2008, 05:51 PM
CabrioArtie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pesty
the THA 475 is 285 x 41 x 159 mm

so thats quite a bit bigger than stock.

be very interested in how you get on. I would like to fit a 4 channel amp under the seat. just for ease as power and speaker cables already there.
Bigger yes, but still small by today's standard. I believe I can make it fit. I should be able to report back on this within a month.

If anyone knows of a smaller 4 channel Amp I would definitely consider it.
Old 10-11-2008, 11:43 AM
Chimera
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is what it looks like under my passenger seat, minus the amp.

Doc
Attached Images  
Old 10-12-2008, 01:46 AM
C24FUN
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Alpine Amp

Here's a picture of the Alpine 4-channel amp I installed a few years ago. They probably don't make the same unit anymore but it will give you an idea of what will fit.

The dimensions are 10.5" x 9.5" x 2.5" (WxDxH). Although it looks square, the extra inch in the width is due to the connectors on the left side of the picture. If you compare my picture to Chimera's you'll notice the little black box in the top left of his picture has been moved to the bottom center in my picture. I made this (and maybe one or two other) small adjustment to get the maximum footprint. Also, the height is fairly critical to avoid interference with the seat bottom.

Good luck!

Jim G.
Attached Images  
Old 10-12-2008, 12:35 PM
CabrioArtie
Rennlist Member

The number and size of the boxes seems to vary by year. The link of the picture I posted is what the tray looks like in my car, which is a '93. I believe the '90s and before had one of these boxes under their dash or somewhere up front.

This makes it more difficult for the owner's of later year cars to install an amp under the seat.
Old 10-13-2008, 05:29 PM
Eric Kessel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 35 Posts

I've shoehorned an Alpine PDX 4.100 under the passenger seat on my 90C2. It's tight, but doable.
Old 12-24-2010, 06:22 PM
olly964T
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I`m clearly missing the obvious here, but why does no one mount the amp length wise so it sticks out the back (if need be) from under the seat? My car is off getting work done but I`m thinking of buying some new audio gear. It would be nice to fit a long slimline 5 channel amp.

Failing that, here is this small 4 channel which would fit in the same spot as the alpine above.

Massive Nano NX4 amplifier. 4x100w @ 4ohms.
SKU SKUNx4
Weight 9.00 Pounds
RMS Power 100 x 4
PEAK Power 800 x 2
RMS@2Ohms 200 x 4
Bridged RMS 400 x 2
Min Impedance 2 Ohm Stereo
Min Impedance Bridged 4 Ohm Mono
THD >1%
S/N 100dB
Max Voltage 15v
Max RCA Voltage 5v
Freq. Responce 15Hz-25KHz
Dimensions 10" x 5.5" x 2.1"

http://www.massiveaudio.com/store/pr...roductid=16226
Old 12-24-2010, 07:18 PM
C24FUN
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 29 Posts

It was actually quite a challenge to fit the Alpine amp which was chosen specifically for its dimensions) into the space available and not have interference with the movement of the passenger seat above it (still slides back and forth freely all the way) and not have amp parts or wiring sticking out into the footwell behind the seat (someone or something will eventually sit there and if it crushes and shorts out wiring it won't be good). I'm also pretty compulsive about having things look neat, tidy and as close to "factory" as possible.

If you look at the pic from Chimera, the small black box (rightmost of the three relay boxes) is relocated in my picture to a small space in the floor channel at the bottom of the picture (you can sort of see where the cable disappears). This gave just enough clearance to mount the amp. The blue wiring you can see at the left and the top right is routed along the base of the tunnel to the dash.

Cheers!

Jim
Old 12-24-2010, 08:18 PM
olly964T
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

O.k I hadn`t really thought about the wires sticking out the back. The massive NX4 is only 5.5" tall so that little black relay box won`t get in the way. I think I`ll just run with the Massive amp as it will leave space on the side to run the wires.

There are also JL DX range but they are not as powerful as the Massive.

What comps or subs are you running?
i`m planning on using Hertz HSK165 2 way comps in the doors and then a 10" sub in a stealthboxz behind the passenger (drivers, for you LHD guys) footwell.

Quick Reply: Footprint for under-seat amp