20.000 km service

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 12:19 PM
Vifa
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 20.000 km service

Hey there

I called my local dealer in July for a 20.000 km. service, but now, when I am looking in the service book I can see they have stamped the service as a regular service...

So I am wondering if they just have performed a regular service or 'the way more extended than a regular service job', the 20.000 km service. Before I go make a fool out of myself by calling the dealer, is there any easy way I can check it by myself which of the services that had been performed?

Vifa
Old 10-07-2008, 07:33 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Vifa
Before I go make a fool out of myself by calling the dealer, is there any easy way I can check it by myself which of the services that had been performed?
Vifa
Edit- I stick with what I say, below -- but did you get a bill for this 20K? And did it have plugs, belts, valve cover gaskets on the roster? If so, you probably received your 20k. Or is this a question of whether you can trust your dealer and what he's done... well, other than being handed your old spark plugs when picking up your car -- which could have come from somebody else's 20k. There's nothing you can do to really, really, really vouchsafe your trust in everything being done in a 20k. (Part of why I do such stuff myself. Well, that... and I'm cheap.)

Anyway... my previous thoughts to your question:
None that are proof-positive.

The 20k check (see below) has about 36 lines of separate things to be checked, adjusted, replaced, refilled, verified... It's a pretty complete servicing of consumable goods, and check of non-consumable items. Spark plugs replaced, valve gaps set, fluids & brake pads changed/checked... lotsa 'stuff'.

The 4k check is 12 lines of items, and isn't quite the **** probe as the 20k. Pretty much it's an oil change, a looksee of top-ten levels/appearances/doo-hickeys, and a valve gap check. (And I'd wager that valve gap check is "If he doesn't hear valves tapping -- they're correct.")

Anyway, my put is if you'd had a Great 20k done -- and weren't familiar with your engine's normal appearance in places -- that you'd be hard pressed to see any difference than factory appearance. Only the stray finger smudge, odd newly wiped-clean surface, or pile of replaced filters,gaskets&plugs, would give hint to a Great 20k's completion.

OTOH, a Crappy 20k is definitely easier to spot: odd nuts/pieces left off, filters left untouched, being billed for changing the air in your tires...

Best of luck with your decision.

Name:  check list.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  116.5 KB

Last edited by elbeee964; 10-07-2008 at 08:22 PM.
Old 10-18-2008, 09:27 AM
Vifa
Burning Brakes

I think they have done it right now when I am reading the list you attached. I know for sure they did a 'exhaust emission test' - I have the result from that. I am still waiting on the bill to arrive. This have been a long process where many small things have been fixed. The biggest problem must have been the sunroof.

The Sunroof:
When I bought the car the sunroof was in a 'not working condition', and the seller said the sunroof couldn't close and open without making scratches and he had tried to get it fixed but he couldn't find any people who could do it right. So I took the car to my own local Porsche dealer and said beside the service the also had to fix the sunroof. And they did; they began in july, but had to order some new parts because something was missing. It took a month or so before they got the parts they needed. This week I drove the car back to the dealer, and it was supposed to get fixed, but again, they needed a part which they hadn't ordered in the first place. But it took only two days to get this part from Germany, so they kept the car so long, and the car was finally done yesterday. The sunroof can now open and close, but while opening and closing the sunroof make scratches. Porsche fixed the sunroof and fitted the new parts so it is now in ' a working condition', but something is still wrong. Annoying!

The Service:
At the pages in the service book where they stamp it, there are two checkboxes: Jahreswartung (annaul maintenance) and Fahrzeugwartung (Vehicle maintenance).

The first service (3.000 - 4.000) has been done in '93 at mileage 3.220 km. The next service in '97 at 8.240 km and have been checked as a Jahreswartung (annaul maintenance). Then again in '01 at mileage 11.994 km and this one is also checked as a Jahreswartung (annaul maintenance). The last two service mentioned has 4 years between them, so this is probably just regular services. The last service performed on the car, the one that I have got is also checked as Jahreswartung (annaul maintenance). But because the car just have reached 20.000 km and they had performed the 'Service every 20.000 km' I thought this was supposed to be checked as a Fahrzeugwartung (Vehicle maintenance)?

I am no more in doubt whether or not they had performed the right service, I am pretty sure they did it right, but I don't understand the differences between the Jahreswartung (annaul maintenance) and the Fahrzeugwartung (Vehicle maintenance) then?.

Last edited by Vifa; 10-18-2008 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 10-18-2008, 09:57 AM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Nope... clueless, here.

Time for others to pipe in a guess
Old 10-20-2008, 02:09 PM
Vifa
Burning Brakes

Anyone?
Old 10-23-2008, 05:57 PM
Vifa
Burning Brakes

Got the bill yesterday. Here is some of the things they have replaced:

Valve Cover Gasket (930-105-194-04)
Valve Cover Gasket, Lower (930-105-195-07)
Oil Filter (944-107-201-08)
Oil Drain Plug Sealing ring (900-123-106-30)
Oil Drain Plug Seal (900-123-118-30)
A/C LINE CLIP (96412601101)
SPARK PLUG (999-170-186-90)
A/C Belt (999-192-365-50)

Besides that they have also done an emission test.

So according to the list you have posted earlier elbeee964, it seems like they have done the right service...

Anyway, does anyone know what this is: SEAT MOTOR COVER (92852176004)?
Old 10-23-2008, 06:09 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Vifa
Anyway, does anyone know what this is: SEAT MOTOR COVER (92852176004)?
Dats da little plastic cover at the front underside of your car seat.

The little hole in it's for manually overriding (ratcheting) a conked out seat motor. Which motor, God only knows... Maybe fore/aft.

Quick Reply: 20.000 km service