Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just done my first track day

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 04:50 PM
Gelignite
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll probably go back to brands again next in late November because I was just starting to get somewhere by the end of the day. My other close tracks are Snetterton and Bedford. Oulton Park may be a little too far for me but it does sound like a tempting track when I've got more practice.

On the subject of tyre wear, etc. I had loads of wear left on my EagleF1s that were new just before I bought the car 2 yrs ago and even after the first day there is still loads to go. I checked after each 20min session and it wasn't until the last couple of sessions that I was pushing hard enough to really scrub them. I reckon that unless you are a natural F1 star but just never realised then the standard car is more than adequate of a first time.
Also I never once came close to losing it but then I was quite cautious and had some instruction, which was worth every penny. Someone did roll theirs in the first session though. But that was a hired MX5 so I guess they were less cautious. Those who saw the incident said it didn't look too bad and they just went in the gravel side ways so it dug in. If you avoid the temptation to race and stay in your limits then you shouldn't crash.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:41 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gelignite
I'll probably go back to brands again next in late November because I was just starting to get somewhere by the end of the day. My other close tracks are Snetterton and Bedford. Oulton Park may be a little too far for me but it does sound like a tempting track when I've got more practice.
There's a big crowd of us at Rockingham on Sunday 19th October (I'm the only 964 but there are lots of other Porsches) which should be in range for you (Bookatrack). I'm aiming to get down to Brands next year for the first time. Going to different circuits is all part of the fun of trackdays IMO but I've yet to drive a track as exhilerating as Oulton park.
Old 10-03-2008, 02:18 PM
madmoog
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve,

Glad you enjoued it, now you been bitten buy the bug you will find that there is no cure for this disease, you just have to keep getting regular fixes - shame it doesn't come on the NHS

As for tyres, last year I did 3 or 4 evenings and a full day at Brunters plus about 2500 road miles and my Conti's are not even half worn - that wasn't sparing them at all - however they went off after about 15 to 20 mins. They are resting in the back garden now as I've some P Zero Corsas

Steve (Boxsey) - doubt I'll drive at Rockingham , but I'll be along for the ride
Old 10-03-2008, 03:26 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by madmoog
Steve,

Steve (Boxsey) - doubt I'll drive at Rockingham , but I'll be along for the ride
Look forward to catching up with you again mate
Old 10-03-2008, 10:34 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats! It sure is a slippery slope.... Come in, the water's fine!

-Blake

Quick Reply: Just done my first track day