Sponsored by:

Rear shock mounts

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 11:56 PM
DanielT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear shock mounts

does anyone have the exact dimensions of the bolt pattern for the early and late rear shock upper mount?. And also what the exact length differnce is between the early and late rear mounts?

I am trying to get these so I can get a pair of billet adapters made so I can run later year rear shocks on my early '90 C2.

thanks.
Old 10-02-2008, 12:21 AM
DanielT
Instructor

bump.....anyone....someone must have these dimensions
Old 10-02-2008, 09:57 PM
porschapete91
Instructor

Default rear strutt upper mounts

Try this"From model year 1991(1 november build date),The rear strutt upper mounting was modified .As a result of this change the following rear suspension components were modified:
Shock absorber outer tube length increased by 38mm/(1.5in)
Rear coil spring length and length of dust cover increased.

From Adrians book
Old 10-02-2008, 10:17 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Bill Gregory has some good info on this:

http://www.porsche964.co.uk/technical/rs_suspension.htm

The bolt pattern is the same, you just need a spacer to make up the height of the strut mount. Do you have shocks you're needing to use? seems like a lot of work now a days, most everyone makes a setup for the earlier cars.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:40 PM
DanielT
Instructor

Originally Posted by porschapete91
Try this"From model year 1991(1 november build date),The rear strutt upper mounting was modified .As a result of this change the following rear suspension components were modified:
Shock absorber outer tube length increased by 38mm/(1.5in)
Rear coil spring length and length of dust cover increased.

From Adrians book
I thought the early cars were longer and the strut mount was shortened on the later cars.

also from another thread I was lead to believe the bolt pattern was different as well.

I wanted to use a set of PSS9s or PSS10s and they are only made for the later cars now. wanted to get a set of adapters made like in the pic.

Last edited by DanielT; 11-30-2008 at 11:56 PM.
Old 10-03-2008, 03:20 AM
porschapete91
Instructor

Unhappy shock mounts

Yes the more I think about the more confussed i am,we must be missing something,because i thought along the same lines as you,anyway my starter motor has to come out so that will keep me curseing for a couple of days
Old 10-05-2008, 02:38 PM
Michael Gibney
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a mod that I have done -- and it works well.

I did the mod to allow me to use the adjustable Konis from the later models on my 1990.

The later model shocks plus the late model upper shock mounts are about 2 cm too short -- so I made up spacers out of 1 cm sheet aluminum (2 for each side and replaced the bolts in the late model mount rubbers with longer bolts -- I used bolts from ramset loksons and hardened steel washers so they did not protrude and foul the top coil -- or your could get a machine shop to mod the heads of some longer bolts to suit (look at the heads of the bolts on the late model rubber mount and you will see what the head has to look like -- but you have to use a brass punch and a nut on the bolt end to protect the thread to get the bolt out as it is pressed in) and then use one of the ally spacers as a template -- clamp it up inside the shock tower (with very small G clamps) and then us a hand held electric drill to drill up through the spacer holes to get your new holes -- then bolt it all in -- the shape of the early shock tower must be the same as the shape of the later shock tower because the upper mount rubbers were a neat fit.

If I recall the parts were about $400.00 so it was expensive but is was the only way to get adjustable Konis and I wanted them because I have used Konis before and are happy with them.

I have got some photos but I am not so good on computers and have trouble uploading but will try to do so in the next day for so.
Old 10-05-2008, 03:54 PM
DanielT
Instructor

thanks, looking forward to your pics
Old 05-22-2015, 10:45 PM
xcoldricex
Racer

just for future reference the bolt pattern for the early 964 is NOT the same as a late rear shock. I bought some Motons that were in a late 964 and the upper mounts do not have the same bolt pattern. even though there are extra patterns (one for 993 and one for late 964) none of them match up to the early bolt pattern so I will have to get holes drilled and tapped.

Last edited by xcoldricex; 05-24-2015 at 11:16 PM.
Old 05-23-2015, 11:50 AM
SuperUser
Three Wheelin'

I think there is a height difference also not just a change in the bolt pattern. Sorry, looks like this was already talked about a few posts earlier:-(
Old 05-23-2015, 12:25 PM
xcoldricex
Racer

Yeah I've been told a 1" spacer should suffice
Old 05-23-2015, 07:26 PM
hockenheimr
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by xcoldricex
just for future reference the bolt pattern for the early 964 is NOT the same as a late rear shock. I bought some Motons that were in a late 964 and the upper mounts do not have the same bolt pattern. even though there are extra patterns none of them match up to the early bolt pattern so I will have to get two holes drilled and tapped.

Is that purple part, a stock piece?
Old 05-24-2015, 01:43 AM
xcoldricex
Racer

no they are aftermarket monoball strut mounts. they have a 993 pattern and a late 964 pattern. i just drilled and tapped a new set of holes for the early 964 using the oem top hat as a template.

early 964 rear strut bolt pattern
Old 05-24-2015, 10:21 AM
hockenheimr
Burning Brakes

Did you require any spacers in the end? front or rear?
Old 05-24-2015, 11:11 PM
xcoldricex
Racer

Yes I used a 1" aluminum spacer in the rear I linked in another thread. the spring was tight to the hat but without preload. however, I think I might need a bit more height in the rear.

Quick Reply: Rear shock mounts