Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tiptronic problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 04:09 AM
holy911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm, now that's 3 of you out there with this mystery problem.

What is the "limp home mode"?
Old 11-15-2008, 11:45 AM
sundog
Race Director

Received 197 Likes on 105 Posts

I don't know the technical details of the limp home mode, but I've had it a few times. Every time it seems like I shifted from Reverse to park without stopping first, or dropped it into drive with the engine revving. Both times mistakenly. However, the tip 'resets' itself when the car is turned off and restarted.

The tip is not slow. I've taken it out to the track a couple of times, and the only problem I find is that as a 4 speed, it has some gearing issues. You never use 1st unless taking off from a stop, and 4th is for the highway, or the very end of the straight at Thunderhill!

What are you looking for in a 964? I'm in San Jose as well.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:46 AM
Michael D'Silva
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any more updates to this thread? I just had my warning light come on, and am in limp mode too.. I think it was because i was reversing and shifted to drive, without stopping completely first...
But now, I have the warning light on all the time... i tried disconnecting the battery for a long time, then reconnecting, but the warning light is on full time.

I'd love to find a thread where the problem was identified or traced to a particular source....
Old 07-03-2015, 03:16 AM
jayhutch
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tiptronic Limp Mode - Emergency Mode -

Originally Posted by Michael D'Silva
any more updates to this thread? I just had my warning light come on, and am in limp mode too.. I think it was because i was reversing and shifted to drive, without stopping completely first...
But now, I have the warning light on all the time... i tried disconnecting the battery for a long time, then reconnecting, but the warning light is on full time.

I'd love to find a thread where the problem was identified or traced to a particular source....
Me too! I have a replaced the Tiptronic S on a 2004 C4S and it will not stay out of emergency mode throwing a code 51. Only code and I bet its an electric issue not a bad replacement tranny. - hutch
Old 07-03-2015, 08:05 AM
Michael D'Silva
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine ended up being a dud tiptronic computer.. i found a second hand one, and it worked perfectly. Car shifted and kicked down faster than before too.
Old 07-03-2015, 11:12 AM
sundog
Race Director

Received 197 Likes on 105 Posts

Check the local breaker yard. Try parts heaven in northern CA. They should have one. Just get the part number off the control unit.

Quick Reply: Tiptronic problem