Sponsored by:

Looking for Stronger Springs for Koni's

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 08:07 AM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Looking for Stronger Springs for Koni's

I am looking for some stronger springs for my C2 that will fit my Koni shocks. Basically these are stock spring design. I need to find a 400 lb for the front and 600 lb for rear / or close too - also looking for tender spring set up with above -
Anyone have or know of someone that carries these stronger springs -???? Thks
Old 09-13-2008, 12:46 PM
anto1150
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Read here:
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
spring-rates.pdf (15.0 KB, 1004 views)
Old 09-13-2008, 12:56 PM
wsybert
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think you will find anything that stiff that will fit your stock setup. The H&R supercup would get you there, but that is a coilover setup. The RS would get you close, but your dampers and topworks will not work with RS springs.
Old 09-13-2008, 12:56 PM
anto1150
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

400/600 are absolutely too much for Koni's... they won't control them.
Old 09-13-2008, 05:41 PM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Right now I have 2 sets of springs that I use on the car -
1 set is from Car graphics - marked as (front) Carrera 2/4 VA and (rear) Carrera 2/4 HA-
I also have a set of Eibach springs - marked as 343950 - RS/F (front) and 343950 RS/R (rear)
I have no idea what the spring rating is for either set is - I am just not satisfied with the amount of body roll in corners and the body angle change under acceleration and deceleration - too much movement -
Wsybert - I not sure I understand your comment about the RS springs -"The RS would get you close, but your dampers and topworks will not work with RS springs." Since I am running Eibach springs for the RS on my Koni's now - I feel they are just to soft -
My Koni's have two adjustments 1 for rebound and 1 for compression - these are not your standard Koni shocks -
Anto 1150 - Thanks for the feedback - the spring rating chart was good information -
Old 09-13-2008, 11:23 PM
wsybert
Pro

The RS springs would get you close, meaning the rates are:
Front 250-308 lbs/inch
Rear 375-508 lbs/inch
I would guess these are stiffer that what you have now. Mine are stiff.
The RS springs are too short for your dampers. The rods on the dampers will have to be modified to use the RS monoballs. If you use your topworks (which I assume you would), you will need custom spacers as well as the modified rods... ask me how I know.

I needed about 3/8" additional spacing on the rears, and I am running the fronts fully turned up. I would like to get the front about 10mm higher, but I am out of travel. I am going to make spacers for the front this winter. Car is ok for now, just feels a little heavy up front.
I am running RS springs with Bilstien HD dampers. Great combo. I am getting into DE's and the ride on the street is still ok. The RS springs are much stiffer than the Eibach Pro's I had on it with the stock dampers (Boge).
What about adding stiffer swaybars and the H&R Turbo springs? The rates you are looking at are pretty stiff.
Old 09-14-2008, 01:24 AM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Wsybert - thanks for feed back - I looked at the springs I have now - In a static state - Off the car - the height measures:
Eibach RS Springs - Frt = 12 inch / Rear 14 1/4 inch tall
Car Graphic - Frt = 13 1/8 / Rear 15 1/2 inch tall
Stock Springs - Frt = 12 1/4 / Rear 16 1/4 inch tall -
Not sure if this is even relative as the spring compression determines true height -
I have a monoball fitting in the front with chambers plates but use the stock spring top hat on the front and I just have the stock rear housing for the rear -
I currently am running RS adjustable swaybars front and rear with the front set out and the rear in (tight)
Right now I have the spring adjustment all the way down on the front with the Car Graphics springs and about 3/4 the way down in the rear - still playing with -
Will the H&R Turbo springs work in a stock set up or do they require modification ? Would I need to obtain the Turbo spring top hats??
Old 09-14-2008, 11:09 AM
wsybert
Pro

Can you take a picture of your fronts? Who's camber plate and monoball are you using? (Your right... static height will not tell you much)
After re-reading your post, I think I missed something... I believe the Eibach RS springs are the heaviest springs rates for Eibachs and the RS in Eibach is not relevant to Porsche, it's a designator for Eibach's "race spring".
That being said, you may already have a pretty stiff spring. I would contact Eibach and find out their rates on the springs you have, before looking further. Best to know what you have before you start making changes.
I am sure there are much more competent folks here that would better serve you in setting up your suspension. I can only share my experience with the Porsche RS setup that I have now.

Is this setup gong on your Cab? The stiffer you get the more you are going to push the rest of your car... meaning you will be flexing the body more in a cab, due to the lack of rigidity.

Bill
Old 09-14-2008, 11:52 AM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Bill - i have attached pictures of the front springs - Note that there are 3 springs in the picture from left to right the springs are STOCK / EIBACH RS / CAR GRAPHIC AV- The Car Graphic - even though it is taller than the stock spring dropped the car over an inch in ride height from the stock spring. If you want a close up of each let me know.
I called Eibach but got absolutely no where. Gave them the numbers and all info I could read off the shock - but they were of no help about all they said was the springs were made in 96. ( I figured that out as the date is part of the info I read to them ) They had no information on the springs - said that they were probably made for a customer for resale
Also pictured are the top and bottom (looking up at) of the front mono ball system I got from TRG-
Yes, going in the cab - had thought about - I am going to install roll bar - with some additional bracing toward the front. But, the frame flex was pushed to the back of the brain - maybe need to rethink and consider a little less in springs.
Thanks
Gus
Attached Images    
Old 09-14-2008, 02:00 PM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Bill - Interesting side note - I just did a make sift compression test on the springs -
For the CG Springs I had to compress them 2 3/4 inches to get a 200lb reading on my make shift scale
For the Eibach springs I had to compress them 2 1/2 inches to get a 200lb reading on my make shift scale
For the STOCK springs I had to compress them 1 1/2 inches to get a 200lb reading on the make shift scale-
I am sure that there is a compression ratio aspect that allows for a certain amount of softness early, then then the springs get harder to compress - but with what I rigged up it is hard to get much higher pressures.
Old 09-14-2008, 08:57 PM
wsybert
Pro

Unfortunately the compression test you did will not tell you much if your springs have progressive rates.
I don't want to lead you down the wrong path... I can't really help if I don't know what you have.
I don't know anything about the Cargraphic springs.
IF your Eibach's are anything like the ones I had, the H&R Red will be a little stiffer, and the RS springs a little stiffer than the H&R's.
You can see the rates in the attachment in post #2.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:23 AM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Bill - really appreciate your help / but it seems that the best thing for me to do right now is call Eibach and H&R and see what info I can get out of them towards available springs. I will also call Koni and see what they have or recommend to help the set up -
Then I guess I will just take it from there - may end up mounting several set of springs and justt running so test to see which ones work best - boy is that a pain though.
Again - THANKS
Gus
Old 09-15-2008, 07:07 PM
wsybert
Pro

Anytime... wish I could help more.
Have you considered a full kit from the likes of JIC, KW, or ???. They are more $$$ than just springs, but you may get more of what you are looking for.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:43 AM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the help - Greatly appreciate your taking time -
Yes, maybe a full suspension change maybe easier in the long run - at least I would get were I want to go -
Will have to think about it

Quick Reply: Looking for Stronger Springs for Koni's