Sponsored by:

Best racing seats for maximum headroom

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 07:58 PM
mwneedham
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best racing seats for maximum headroom

Want to make the move to racing seats as I love DE events. When I wear a helmet, no matter where I put stock seats my head hits the roof. Not certain about side mount versus bottom mount seats. Anyone out there put in seats with 6 point harness set up and increased head room over stock seats? Any help and insight would be greatly appreciated. I am looking at Sparco EVO or Recaro seats, but any other suggestions would be helpful. I do drive the car other than just DE's but comfort is not my primary concern. Just love the feel of being locked in the seat.

Thanks for your help.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:05 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have headroom problems with a helmet on, as my head hits the headliner without a helmet with a stock seat reclined. For my last three cars, I have used Kirkey Deluxe road race seats mounted to the floor with no slider. This gives me just enough room with a helmet to clear the headliner by an RCH. The Kirkeys are much more comfortable for the street than they appear, and many friends have commented on their comfort.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:42 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

What's your height (sunroof? rough budget?)

I'm 6' and was astonished how much helmet room exists by losing the thrones, going to Recaros. And that's with pivot-seatback Recaros. Now, 1-2" above helmet w/ sunroof.

Edit-
6'2" is definitely doable. Like you, I used to have to lean waaaay back and scrunch down to not make helmet-roof contact.
The manual seat sliders I got put no more than 1/2" above floor height under the seats.

One good thing is your chassis is the same as 993's, for when you're looking over examples.
Ask for trial sittings while visiting events. You'll see -- successful options exist.
I picked mine up 2nd-hand from a new friend. Fitting them to the car was a chore. Tedious.

Last edited by elbeee964; 09-11-2008 at 09:45 PM.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:46 PM
mwneedham
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am 6' 2" tall but have a long torso and short legs. In terms of budget, without blowing money, I figured it was going to cost around $2500 for the set up. Thanks for all the advice. I just want to be certain before I order seats, I am for certain going to gain maximum headroom.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:47 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I am 6' 1" and have lots of space above my head (with sunroof) by mounting Recaro SPG's on side mounts with sliders.

Marc

Quick Reply: Best racing seats for maximum headroom